Thinking outside the box a requisite to being motivated

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of blending science and spirituality, and how unconventional and abstract ideas can be a motivating factor for studying subjects like physics, chemistry, and biology. The concept of unseen phenomena and alternate dimensions is also brought up, and the comparison of prayer to hypnosis is mentioned as a way to bypass logical thinking. The speaker shares their personal interest in physics and abstract knowledge for the sake of thinking.
HorseBox
I just spotted another thread where the poster asked "can a modern scientist be religious". I thought about it and I realize that my crazy notions are some of my biggest motivators behind me aspiring to become a scientist. There could be unseen phenomena all around us that is yet to be discovered. Let's say before the EM spectrum was discovered I'm sure there were some people that were sensitive to EM radiation beyond the visible light spectrum and these people may have been considered mystics in the past. I think similarly there is a possibility that our thoughts may project some kind of unseen energy into an unseen medium which our most advanced instruments are incapable of detecting. Maybe the technology to detect them is right under our nose. I think that in time to come a lot of what is considered spirituality will fall into the field of science. Pray for example I think there really is something to it. I think prayer is similar to hypnosis. It is a method people use to bypass their pessimistic logical mind and allow a certain belief to embed itself in the persons mind. They're just a few examples I pulled off the top of my head that's not what motivates me at all I'm more into the ideas of alternate dimensions etc.

What about all of you. Do you find that crazy out of this world ideas are a big motivator for learning the principles of physics, chemistry, biology etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
I study physics since I like general knowledge rather than specific. I like to think, and knowing more abstract stuff helps me thinking.

HorseBox said:
Pray for example I think there really is something to it. I think prayer is similar to hypnosis. It is a method people use to bypass their pessimistic logical mind and allow a certain belief to embed itself in the persons mind.

I thought that was some organic chemistry reaction:biggrin:

1. What does it mean to "think outside the box"?

Thinking outside the box refers to the ability to approach a problem or situation in a nontraditional or unconventional way. It involves breaking away from conventional methods and thinking creatively to find innovative solutions.

2. Why is thinking outside the box important for motivation?

Thinking outside the box can help to stimulate creativity and innovation, which are important factors in staying motivated. It allows individuals to see things from a different perspective and come up with new ideas and approaches to achieve their goals.

3. Can anyone learn to think outside the box?

Yes, anyone can learn to think outside the box. It is a skill that can be developed and improved through practice and by challenging oneself to think in new and unconventional ways. It may require stepping out of one's comfort zone, but it is a valuable skill that can be beneficial in various aspects of life.

4. How can thinking outside the box be applied in different fields?

Thinking outside the box can be applied in various fields, such as science, business, and the arts. In science, it can lead to new discoveries and solutions to complex problems. In business, it can help to generate new ideas and strategies for growth and success. In the arts, it can lead to unique and innovative creations.

5. What are some techniques for thinking outside the box?

Some techniques for thinking outside the box include brainstorming, mind mapping, role-playing, and reframing. These techniques can help to stimulate creativity and encourage individuals to approach problems from different angles and perspectives.