Discussion topic in physics for high school students

In summary: Is it just me or is the tone of this thread a bit negative?In summary, the seminar organizer is thinking of a topic for a discussion after a talk on high energy physics with students. One possible topic is something philosophical.
martin_blckrs
Hi,

I'm currently one of the organizers of a seminar for talented high school students in my home town and one my task for the next session is to give a brief talk on some interesting subject in (theoretical) physics, with a discussion afterwards, where the students will participate. It should be on some interresting topic which is accessible to high school students, so they would be able to express their oppinion in the discussion.

The topics that I thought about so far were global warming, nuclear energy, renewable energy sources, ... but I find these topics to be a little bit cliche and also are not exactly what my research is about (high energy physics). So do you guys have some interresting ideas for an interresting topic in (theoretical) physics that would be good for such a discussion? Can be also something really philosophical...

(P.S. I hope this is the right subforum, if not please redirect this thread to a more suitable one)

Science news on Phys.org
How about a talk about the research going on at the LHC, then a discussion afterward about the future of that field (what happens if the LHC finds the Higgs? if it doesn't?) as well as discussions about whether the project was worth the time and effort and the roles of "big science" (like the LHC) versus "little science."

You can do a lecture on elementary stuff about particle physics. Since they are "talented high school students", they should at least be able to follow what you're trying to say.

What about this topic:

"http://timesonline.typepad.com/science/2009/09/future-of-physics-the-ipod-or-the-lhc.html" ?"

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a high schooler myself as well as having several scientifically minded high school friends, the theoretical stuff about physics is more interesting than the applications( of course the applications should be discussed).

Provided, I am not telling you to teach the mathematical intricacies of Wilson fermions, but qualitative topics such as

Special and General Relativity
Determinism and Quantum theory
Particle Physics and
Quantum Gravity

I say (I know this is very low..) take some stuff from Michio Kaku'z "Physics of the Impossible" topics and discuss them.

flyingpig said:
I say (I know this is very low..) take some stuff from Michio Kaku'z "Physics of the Impossible" topics and discuss them.

... and turn these budding physicists into potential crackpots?

Zz.

I probably sound like an idiot for asking this, but what's with the bashing??

What is the importance of studying physics in high school?

Studying physics in high school is important because it introduces students to the fundamental concepts and principles of the physical world. It helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for future studies and careers in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields.

What are some interesting discussion topics in physics for high school students?

Some interesting discussion topics in physics for high school students include the laws of motion, energy and its forms, electricity and magnetism, light and optics, and the structure of matter. Other topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, and astrophysics can also spark engaging discussions.

Is physics a difficult subject for high school students?

Physics can be a challenging subject for high school students, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and abstract theories. However, with proper guidance and practice, students can develop a solid understanding of the subject and achieve success in their studies.

How can high school students apply physics in real life?

High school students can apply physics in real life in various ways, such as understanding the principles behind everyday devices like smartphones, cars, and household appliances. They can also use physics concepts to solve problems and make informed decisions in areas like engineering, medicine, and environmental science.

What are some resources for high school students to learn more about physics?

There are many resources available for high school students to learn more about physics, including textbooks, online courses, educational videos, and interactive simulations. They can also participate in science fairs, join physics clubs, and attend workshops or lectures to deepen their understanding of the subject.