AP Calc - Find a Derivative Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a formula for the third derivative of y with respect to x, written as d^3y/dx^3, using the functions f(u) and g(x) which both have third derivatives. The confusion arises from the notation, but it is clarified that the third derivative is not with respect to x^3, but just x. The conversation ends with the confirmation that the correct answer has been found.
bobraymund

Homework Statement

If y = f(u) and u = g(x), where f and g possesses third derivatives, find a formula for
_LARGE__fracd3ydx3.gif
similar to the one below:

Homework Equations

calcproblema.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I am basically completely lost on this one... because I came up with a solution for d^3y/d^3x, but not the way they want it which is d^3y/dx^3. I don't get how it can be the third derivative of y with respect to x cubed.

Perhaps I am making it more confusing, but can someone please clarify/explain?

Thanks,
Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not the third derivative with respect to x^3. It's just the third derivative with respect to x that they want. That's just sort of a funkyness about the d/d notation.
[tex]\frac{d^3 y}{dx^3}[/tex]
just means the third derivative. Nothing to do with x cubed. It's just the way they write it.

Last edited:
Dick said:
It's not the third derivative with respect to x^3. It's just the third derivative with respect to x that they want. That's just sort of a funkyness about the d/d notation.
[tex]\frac{d^3 y}{dx^3}[/tex]
just means the third derivative. Nothing to do with x cubed. It's just the way they write it.

Thanks a bunch for the clarification. I think I got the right answer now. :)

-Bob

1. What is a derivative in AP Calculus?

A derivative in AP Calculus is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point and is used to analyze and solve problems related to motion, optimization, and other real-world scenarios.

2. How do you find a derivative formula in AP Calculus?

In AP Calculus, there are several methods for finding a derivative formula, including the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules involve manipulating the original function algebraically to find the derivative at a given point.

3. What is the difference between a derivative and an antiderivative in AP Calculus?

A derivative is the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point, while an antiderivative is the original function from which the derivative was derived. In other words, the derivative represents the slope of the tangent line, while the antiderivative represents the original function's area under the curve.

4. How is the derivative formula used in real-world applications?

The derivative formula is used in various real-world applications, such as determining the speed and acceleration of an object, maximizing profit in business, and predicting the growth or decay of a population. It is a powerful tool for understanding and solving problems related to change.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding a derivative formula in AP Calculus?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding a derivative formula in AP Calculus include forgetting to apply the chain rule, using the power rule incorrectly, and making algebraic errors. It is also essential to carefully consider the given point and ensure that all terms are accounted for in the final derivative formula.