Numerical Relativity: Components of the Lapse Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses a technical question about numerical relativity and the use of four gauge freedoms in the 3 + 1 decomposition. The speaker is confused about the use of covariant derivatives and regular derivatives in evolution equations, specifically in the ADM evolution equation for the extrinsic curvature. After further research, the speaker discovers that the book they are using was using a different notation for the shift vector, causing their confusion.
Wallace
Science Advisor
I have a technical question about numerical relativity, hopefully someone can help.

In the usual 3 + 1 decomposition in NR, the four gauge freedoms are expressed via the lapse, [tex]\alpha[/tex] and three shift components [tex] \beta^i [/tex]. In a finite element numerical scheme, each grid point will have a value for these 4 components.

Now, looking at evolution equations on the other hand, I see terms that want to take the covariant derivative of the lapse function, which I can't understand since it is a scalar, and hence the covariant derivative reduces to the regular derivative.

To be explicit, take for instance the ADM evolution equation for the extrinsic curvature. The textbook I have ("Elements of Numerical Relativity" by Carles Bona and Carlos Palenzuela-Luque), write this down as

[tex] (\partial_t - L_{\beta} ) K_{ij} = -\alpha_{j;i} + \alpha [ ...] [/tex]

I've left the rest of the equation out for simplicity (note that [tex]L_{\beta}[/tex] is the Lie Derivative, I couldn't work out how to make the nice curly L with the tex tags). See that both [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\alpha^i[/tex] appear which I don't understand. It would make sense if this book was using [tex]\alpha^i[/tex] to denote the shift vector, but as you can see from the LHS (and it made clear in the book) it uses [tex]\beta^i[/tex] for this.

Any ideas? I'm just replacing the Covariant derivative with the regular one for [tex]\alpha[/tex] but maybe the equation is actually telling me something very different?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found the answer, comparing to other literature it looks like they were meaning

[tex]\alpha_i \equiv \partial_i \alpha[/tex]

that makes sense, because the covariant derivative of that would not be 'trivial', i.e. reduce simply to the regular derivative.

Thank you for your question about numerical relativity and the components of the lapse function. The lapse function, \alpha, is a scalar quantity that represents the rate at which time is measured in a particular coordinate system. In the 3+1 decomposition used in numerical relativity, it is one of the four gauge freedoms that are expressed through the lapse and three shift components, \beta^i. These components are necessary for the numerical scheme to accurately represent the evolution of the spacetime.

In the evolution equations, it is common to see terms that involve the covariant derivative of the lapse function. This may seem confusing at first since the lapse is a scalar quantity and the covariant derivative of a scalar reduces to the regular derivative. However, the use of the covariant derivative in these equations is not meant to represent a literal derivative of the lapse function, but rather it is used as a mathematical tool to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve numerically.

To better understand this, let's take a look at the ADM evolution equation for the extrinsic curvature that you mentioned. The term \alpha_{j;i} represents the covariant derivative of the lapse function with respect to the spatial coordinates, which may seem redundant since the lapse is a scalar. However, in this equation, the covariant derivative is being used to represent the time derivative of the lapse function, which is necessary for the numerical scheme to accurately evolve the spacetime.

In summary, the use of the covariant derivative in the evolution equations for the lapse function is a mathematical tool that simplifies the equations and allows for accurate numerical solutions. I hope this helps clarify your question.

1. What is the role of the lapse function in numerical relativity?

The lapse function is a key component in the 3+1 decomposition of Einstein's equations, which splits spacetime into three spatial dimensions and one time dimension. It represents the rate at which time passes in each spatial direction and is used to define the local coordinates and measure time intervals in a numerical simulation.

2. How is the lapse function determined in numerical relativity simulations?

The lapse function is determined by solving the Hamiltonian constraint, which is one of the Einstein field equations. This constraint relates the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy within it. Solving this equation allows us to determine the lapse function and ensure consistency with the other field equations.

3. What are the effects of choosing different lapse functions in a numerical relativity simulation?

The choice of lapse function can affect the accuracy and stability of a numerical relativity simulation. A poorly chosen lapse function can lead to errors and instabilities in the simulation, while a well-chosen lapse function can improve the accuracy and stability of the results. Therefore, choosing an appropriate lapse function is crucial for a successful simulation.

4. How does the lapse function relate to the concept of coordinate time in numerical relativity?

The lapse function is closely related to the concept of coordinate time in numerical relativity. In fact, the two are often used interchangeably. The lapse function determines the rate at which time passes in each spatial direction, while coordinate time is used to measure time intervals in a specific coordinate system. Both are necessary for accurately describing and simulating the evolution of spacetime.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations in using the lapse function in numerical relativity simulations?

One of the challenges in using the lapse function in numerical relativity simulations is that it must be chosen carefully in order to ensure consistency with the other field equations. Additionally, the lapse function can become degenerate in certain regions of spacetime, making it difficult to solve the Hamiltonian constraint and determine its value. This can lead to inaccuracies in the simulation results and may require additional techniques to overcome.