Homogeneous equation (third order)

However, if you've checked your solution, you should be able to find an algebraic error in your solution or a mistake in your checking.You have made an error in your algebra. In your last equation, C3 should be positive, not negative. Therefore, the correct solution is:y = (47/12)e^(4x) - (26/21) e^(7x) +121/84
ihumayun

Homework Statement

Find y as a function of x if

y'''−11y''+28y'=0 y(0)=1 y'(0)=7 y''(0)=2

I have one attempt left on this question. Could someone verify my answer for me?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(use t as lamda)
t^3-11t^2+28t=0
t(t-4)(t-7)=0
t= 0, 4, 7

y = C1 e^(4x) + C2 e^(7x) + C3

1 = C1 (1) + C2 (1) + C3 ...(1)

y' = 4 C1 e^(4x) + 7 C2 e^(7x)

7 = 4 C1 + 7 C2 ... (2)

y'' = 16 C1 e^(4x) + 49 C2 e^(7x)

2 = 16 C1 + 49 C2 ...(3)

Using (2) and (3) to solve for C1 and C2:

28 = 16 C1 + 28 C2 --> (2)*2
2 = 16 C1 + 49 C2 ---> (3)
------------------------------
26 = -21 C2
C2 = (26/-21)

2 = 16 C1 + 49 (-26/21) ... (3)
C1 = 47/12

1 = -26/21 + 47/12 + C3

C3 = 1+ 26/21 - 47/12
C3 = 121/84

y = (47/12)e^(4x) - (26/21) e^(7x) +121/84

Physics news on Phys.org
You've done all the hard work. Checking your solution is easy.
See if your function satisfies the differential equation. Check that for your function, y''' - 11y'' + 28y' = 0 is a true statement.
See if your function satisfies the initial conditions.

I've submitted the answer and it is incorrect. Can anyone tell me why?

Did you check your solution as I suggested in my previous post? I haven't worked the problem, so can't vouch for your solution.

1. What is a homogeneous equation (third order)?

A homogeneous equation (third order) is a mathematical equation in which all the terms have the same degree (third degree) and the constant term is equal to zero.

2. What is the difference between a homogeneous equation and a non-homogeneous equation?

The main difference between a homogeneous equation and a non-homogeneous equation is that in a homogeneous equation, all the terms have the same degree and the constant term is equal to zero, whereas in a non-homogeneous equation, the terms have different degrees and the constant term is not equal to zero.

3. How do you solve a homogeneous equation (third order)?

In order to solve a homogeneous equation (third order), you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. Both methods involve finding a particular solution and then adding it to the general solution of the homogeneous equation.

4. Can a homogeneous equation (third order) have complex solutions?

Yes, a homogeneous equation (third order) can have complex solutions. This is because the solutions of a homogeneous equation depend on the roots of the characteristic equation, and the roots of a third-degree polynomial can be complex numbers.

5. How is a homogeneous equation (third order) related to differential equations?

A homogeneous equation (third order) is a type of differential equation, specifically a third-order linear homogeneous differential equation. This means that the equation involves a function and its derivatives up to the third order, and all the terms have the same degree and the constant term is equal to zero.