Algebraic Ints: Prove a+b & ab Algebraic

• Thread starter bobn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary: Office thanks for your reply.More over, h(x) will be of degree 6 since, a and b are of degree 3,2 respectively with gcd 1. so, a+b will be of degree 6.
bobn

Homework Statement

if a is an algebraic number satisfying a^3+a+1 = 0 and b is an algebraic number satisfying b^2+b-3 = 0 prove that both a+b and ab are algebraic

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a is root of equation x^3+x+1 = 0 and similarly b, so there exists a x = ab,and also x = a+b. so, ( x- ab)(x - a+b) is the required one.

Its from I N Herstein's Topics in Algebra 5.1.13

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bobn said:

Homework Statement

if a is an algebraic number satisfying a^3+a+1 = 0 and b is an algebraic number satisfying b^2+b-3 = 0 prove that both a+b and ab are algebraic

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a is root of equation x^3+x+1 = 0 and similarly b, so there exists a x = ab,and also x = a+b. so, ( x- ab)(x - a+b) is the required one.

Its from I N Herstein's Topics in Algebra 5.1.13

( x- ab)(x - a+b) is the required one what? It may be a polynomial that has x=ab as a root. But to show ab is algebraic you have to find a polynomial with integer coefficients that has ab as a root.

Dick, thanks for the reply.

Sorry I am confused between polynomial and algebraic.

bobn said:
Dick, thanks for the reply.

Sorry I am confused between polynomial and algebraic.

I just told you the difference. An algebraic number is the root of a polynomial with integer coefficients. sqrt(2) is a root of x^2-2=0. That shows it algebraic. The coefficients of the polynomial are integers. x=pi is a root of x^2-pi^2=0. That doesn't show it's algebraic. pi^2 isn't an integer.

a, b are integers, a+b and ab also. so.

(x- a-b)*(x-ab) = x^2 - x*(ab+a+b) - ab*(a+b) = f(x)

f(ab) = f (a+b) = 0, so, ab, a+b satisfies polynomial f(x) and hence, ab and a+b are algebraic.

bobn said:
a, b are integers, a+b and ab also. so.

(x- a-b)*(x-ab) = x^2 - x*(ab+a+b) - ab*(a+b) = f(x)

f(ab) = f (a+b) = 0, so, ab, a+b satisfies polynomial f(x) and hence, ab and a+b are algebraic.

If you were given that a and b are integers, that would be fine. You aren't given that a and b are integers. So it's not fine. I think you'd better go back and review the definition of 'algebraic' and any examples about them in your book.

hey, its given as algebraic integers, I typed that as number.

Thanks for your replies.

but I couldn't find any integer satisfying b^2+b-3 = 0, but Herstein had mentioned that b is an Algebraic integer.

Yes, your problem says that a and b are "algebraic integers". It does NOT follow that a and b are integers. Do you know the definition of "algebraic integer"?

yea, all ai s should be integers, but not necessarily roots right.

I think this should do.

f(a) = a^3+a+1 = 0; g(b) = b^2+b-3 = 0.

h(a+b) = ci*xi. This should be zero since, all xi 's are linearly dependent since they can be expressed as f(a) and g(b) i.e., a^i*b^i = a^j*(a^3+a+1)*b^k*( b^2+b-3) = 0. Similarly k(ab) = 0

You need to work on expressing yourself clearly. What are the xis? What is h(x), and why is h(a+b)=ci*xi (the c's here aren't defined either). And then you have k(ab) without saying what k is!

Say f(a) = a^3+a+1 = 0; g(b) = b^2+b-3 = 0. [Given]

There exists , h(x) a polynomial with in the form of Ci*Xi where Cis are integer coefficients and h(a+b) = 0. since, all xi 's are linearly dependent since they can be expressed as f(a) and g(b) i.e., for each a^i*b^i = a^j*(a^3+a+1)*b^k*( b^2+b-3) = 0. Similarly there exists a polynomial k(x) with integer coefficients such that k(ab) = 0.

Office thanks for your reply.

More over, h(x) will be of degree 6 since, a and b are of degree 3,2 respectively with gcd 1. so, a+b will be of degree 6.

1. How do you prove the sum of two algebraic integers?

To prove the sum of two algebraic integers, we can use the definition of algebraic integers, which states that an algebraic integer is a root of a monic polynomial with integer coefficients. We can then show that the sum of two algebraic integers satisfies the same polynomial, making it an algebraic integer as well.

2. Can you prove the product of two algebraic integers?

Yes, we can prove the product of two algebraic integers by using the fact that the product of two polynomials is also a polynomial. By showing that the product of the two algebraic integers satisfies a monic polynomial with integer coefficients, we can prove that it is also an algebraic integer.

3. Is there a specific method for proving algebraic integers?

There are several methods for proving algebraic integers, including the definition of algebraic integers, the use of polynomial identities, and the use of field extensions. The specific method used may depend on the specific problem at hand.

4. How do you prove the closure property of algebraic integers under addition and multiplication?

The closure property of algebraic integers under addition and multiplication can be proven by showing that the sum and product of two algebraic integers satisfy the same polynomial with integer coefficients, making them algebraic integers as well. This shows that the set of algebraic integers is closed under addition and multiplication.

5. Can you provide an example of proving the algebraic integers of a specific field?

Yes, for example, we can prove that the set of algebraic integers in the field of real numbers is equal to the set of all integers. This can be done by showing that any real number that satisfies a monic polynomial with integer coefficients must be an integer, thus proving that the set of algebraic integers in this field is equal to the set of integers.