EE, possible minor or double major?

In summary, a student is a junior at the University of Central Florida and has recently switched majors from MIS to electrical engineering. Due to prerequisites, they can only take three classes next semester including chemistry, C++ programming, and calculus 1. They are considering pursuing a minor or double major in accounting, but it may be time-consuming and may not have much value. Other minor options in the engineering field also require calculus 1. It is suggested that the student focus on completing the electrical engineering degree and then pursue an MBA with a minor in management or accounting. Taking accounting courses as electives is also recommended for future job opportunities.
Stevo6754
Hey, I am a junior at the University of Central Florida. This past summer I switched from a MIS major to electrical engineering. I had to take trig this semester in order to take calc 1 this coming semester. Because calc 1 is a prereq for almost everything, the only other classes I can take next semester are chem 1 and C++ programming.

I was wondering if I should just focus on these three classes or pick up a fourth and pursue a minor or double major? I have all the core classes for any business degree and I do enjoy accounting so I could major in that as well or minor in it. Majoring in it would drag more time away from my EE major but a minor would most likely be useless, plus you need to pass the CPA to be worth anything?

Other minor options that fall under the engineering field also require calc 1 as a prereq, really about the only thing that doesn't is international engineering, which would require me to take 2 semesters of a language and a semester of study abroad?

Is pursuing a minor or another major worth it? Or should I just focus on EE?

Physics news on Phys.org
The EE Degree itself is the toughest in my book to get out of all engineering fields. The math is very intense, it's like if your doing a double in math and engineering.

Now, it seems that your better off finishing EE and getting an MBA which is a very and common path that engineers are taking nowadays. At my local job fair the other day, recruiters are looking for people with experience in management which also includes a bit of cost management/accounting. In my Engineering school, every engineering discipline has to take 1 or 2 industrial engineering classes that are closely related to Management and Accounting.

Heres what i would do according to your post in summarized terms.

1. BS Electrical Engineering with a minor in management or accounting and then get an MBA.

Also notice that you don't necessarily need to attain a minor, you can just simply take up all your electives on accounting courses which would really spare your course load. And if you ran out of electives, still take em on the side for grad school purposes.

I would advise you to carefully consider your options and make a decision based on your long-term goals and interests. Pursuing a minor or double major can be beneficial in terms of expanding your knowledge and skill set, but it also requires a significant amount of time and effort. Here are a few things to consider:

1. Career goals: Think about your career goals and how a minor or double major could potentially benefit you. Are there any specific industries or jobs that you are interested in that would require knowledge in both EE and another field? Or are you more interested in specializing in one area? This can help guide your decision.

2. Time and workload: Pursuing a minor or double major will require you to take on a heavier course load and may extend your time in college. Consider if you are willing and able to commit to this extra workload, and if it will affect your ability to excel in your EE major.

3. Relevance: If you are considering a minor or double major in a different field, make sure to research how relevant it is to your EE major and future career. Will the additional courses complement your EE knowledge or be more of a distraction?

4. Personal interests: It's important to also consider your personal interests and passions. If you have a strong interest in a specific field, pursuing a minor or double major in that area could provide you with a well-rounded education and potentially open up new opportunities in the future.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on what will benefit you the most in the long run. If you are unsure, it may be helpful to speak with an academic advisor or a career counselor for guidance. Good luck with your decision!

1. What is the difference between a minor and a double major in EE?

A minor in EE involves taking a smaller number of courses in the subject compared to a double major, which requires a significant number of additional courses. A minor allows for a more focused study in a specific area of EE, while a double major provides a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.

2. Can I minor in EE if my major is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to minor in EE even if your major is in a different field. Many universities offer the option to minor in a subject outside of your major, allowing students to gain knowledge and skills in multiple areas of study.

3. Will a minor or double major in EE benefit me in my career?

Both a minor and a double major in EE can be beneficial in your career, depending on your career goals. A minor can provide a strong foundation in a specific area of EE, while a double major can demonstrate a wider range of skills and knowledge to potential employers.

4. How does a minor or double major in EE impact my graduation timeline?

Adding a minor or double major in EE can extend your graduation timeline, as it requires taking additional courses. However, it is possible to plan your coursework efficiently to avoid any significant delays in graduation.

5. Is it possible to switch from a minor to a double major in EE?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a minor to a double major in EE. However, it may require taking additional courses and extending your graduation timeline. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your academic and career goals.