Continuous expansion is surjective

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a compact metric space (X,d) and a continuous function f:X→X such that d(f(x),f(y))≥d(x,y) for all x,y in X. The goal is to prove that f is a surjection. One approach is to consider the set K consisting of points not in f(X) and take a finite open covering G of f(X)\K. Then, taking the pre-image of these open sets will result in a set H of smaller open balls with centers closer together. However, this does not cover all of X and leads to a contradiction. It is noted that this does not hold true in all cases, as demonstrated by the example X=[0
boboYO

Homework Statement

(X,d) a compact metric space, f:X->X cts fn, with
d(f(x),f(y)) >= d(x,y)
for all x, y in X Prove that f is a surjection.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let K be the set of points that are not in f(X). It is a union of open balls because X is closed and hence so is f(X).

Choose a finite open covering of f(X)\K with all the open sets having small radius, call this covering G. Take the pre-image of all these sets, the result will be open balls of smaller or equal radius to the originals, and the centres will be closer to each other. call this set of preimages, H.

--

Intuitively it seems like H doesn't cover X and so we have a contradiction (right?), but I don't know how to rigorize it. Hints? Am I on the right track? Missing something obvious?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think you are "missing something obvious"! I don't see why you need "compact" or even "continuous". Suppose f were not a surjection. Then there exist [itex]x\ne y[/itex] such that f(x)= f(y). So d(f(x),f(y))= 0. That contradicts "d(f(x),f(y))> d(x,y)" doesn't it?

I don't think that's true, let X=[0,1] on the real line and f(x)=x/2. This isn't a surjection but there is no x,y such that: [tex]x \neq y[/tex] and f(x)=f(y). I think you confused surjection and injection ;p

1. What is continuous expansion?

Continuous expansion refers to the process of continuously increasing the size or scope of something, typically in a gradual or steady manner. In mathematics, this term is often used in the context of surjective functions, which are functions that map every element in the output space to at least one element in the input space.

2. What does it mean for continuous expansion to be surjective?

In mathematics, a function is considered surjective if every element in the output space has at least one corresponding element in the input space. This means that the function covers or "hits" every point in the output space, and there are no elements left out.

3. Why is continuous expansion being surjective important?

Continuous expansion being surjective is important because it ensures that every element in the output space is accounted for, and there are no "gaps" or missing elements. This is particularly useful in mathematical proofs and modeling, where it is important to have a complete and accurate representation of a system or process.

4. How is continuous expansion being surjective different from other types of functions?

Continuous expansion being surjective is different from other types of functions, such as injective or bijective functions, in that it guarantees that every element in the output space is "hit" by the function. In contrast, injective functions may have elements in the output space that are not reached by the function, and bijective functions have a one-to-one correspondence between elements in the input and output spaces.

5. Can continuous expansion ever be not surjective?

Yes, it is possible for continuous expansion to not be surjective. This would occur if there are elements in the output space that are not "hit" or covered by the function. In other words, there would be some points in the output space that do not have a corresponding element in the input space. However, in many cases, steps can be taken to ensure that continuous expansion is surjective, such as by adjusting the input or output spaces or by using different mathematical techniques.