Magnetic field between two parallel wires

In summary, the two parallel wires are 8 cm apart and the magnetic field halfway between them is 300 uT. To find the equal currents in the wires, we can use the equation B = (u*i) / (2*Pi*distance) and solve for I. After solving, we get 60 Amperes, but the correct answer is actually 30 amperes because the magnetic field is due to the current of two wires. This is because the forces on the two wires will attract each other and double the magnetic field. This applies to both the parallel and antiparallel cases, where the currents in each wire would be 30 A.
fishingspree2

Homework Statement

Two parralel wires are 8 cm apart. The magnetic field halfway between them is 300 uT. What equal currents must be in the wires? Consider parralel and antiparralel currents

Homework Equations

I use Ia=Ib

B = (u*i) / (2*Pi*distance) where distance = 0.04 m (0.08m divided by two since it is halfway)

then I solve for I, I get 60 Amperes, the answers is 30 amperes

What to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you are not taking into account that the magnetic field is due to the current of _two_ wires

Note that the forces on these two wires will attract each other, combining together and forming double the magnetic field because the fields are in the same direction :)

I think that it is correct for anti-parallel case. 30 A for each wire.

you have to consider currents for both wires. so in this case current will b 2i.

1. What is a magnetic field between two parallel wires?

A magnetic field between two parallel wires is a region in space where a magnetic force is exerted on charged particles, such as electrons, due to the presence of two parallel wires carrying an electric current.

2. How is the strength of the magnetic field between two parallel wires determined?

The strength of the magnetic field between two parallel wires is determined by the distance between the wires, the amount of current flowing through the wires, and the permeability of the surrounding medium.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field between two parallel wires?

The direction of the magnetic field between two parallel wires is perpendicular to the plane formed by the wires and follows the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current flow and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic field between two parallel wires affect nearby objects?

The magnetic field between two parallel wires can exert a force on nearby objects that have a magnetic field, such as other wires carrying a current or magnets. This force can cause objects to move or be repelled from the wires.

5. Can the magnetic field between two parallel wires be altered or controlled?

Yes, the magnetic field between two parallel wires can be altered or controlled by changing the distance between the wires, adjusting the amount of current flowing through the wires, or by using materials with different permeability in the surrounding medium.