Earth's Rotation: Centripetal Acceleration Source

• Thread starter skepticsm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, the Earth's rotation is caused by a net centripetal force, which is a combination of gravity and contact forces from surrounding material. This force keeps the Earth's parts from being dispersed and is not required for the Earth to spin according to the conservation law of angular momentum. The tangential direction of the Earth's rotation is not affected by the radial direction of centripetal acceleration, and the Earth's radius is a constant. The question may have been referring to the torque that acts upon the Earth to cause its rotation.
skepticsm
I have a question about the centripetal acceleration required for Earth's rotation about its axis. There obviously must be a force causing this acceleration, but I can't seem to figure what the source of this force is. Anyone happen to know the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
For any piece of the Earth not on the axis of rotation there will be a net centripetal force. Gravity and contact forces (from surrounding material) provide the radial force, the net of which is towards the axis of rotation.

Hi,
Regarding the Earth as simple solid body, no outer force is required for spinning of the Earth by the conservation law of angular momentum.
Regarding the Earth as complex of parts, part of gravity to the center of Earth works as centripetal force to keep them not dispersed.
Regards.

Skepticsm, centripetal acceleration is in the radial direction, but the earth’s rotational motion is in the tangential direction. As such, centripetal acceleration does not cause the earth’s rotation--I am taking the Earth's radius to be a constant here. Did you mean to ask: what torque acts upon the Earth to cause its rotation?

Last edited:
skepticsm said:
I have a question about the centripetal acceleration required for Earth's rotation about its axis. There obviously must be a force causing this acceleration, but I can't seem to figure what the source of this force is. Anyone happen to know the answer?
Rain.

1. What is Earth's rotation?

Earth's rotation refers to the spinning motion of the planet around its axis, which is an imaginary line that runs from the North Pole to the South Pole.

2. How fast does Earth rotate?

Earth rotates at a constant speed of approximately 1,037 miles per hour, or 1670 kilometers per hour, at the equator. The speed decreases as you move towards the poles.

3. What causes Earth's rotation?

Earth's rotation is caused by the centripetal force exerted by the Sun and other celestial bodies in our solar system. This force acts on Earth's mass, pulling it towards the center of its orbit and causing it to rotate.

4. What is the centripetal acceleration source for Earth's rotation?

The centripetal acceleration source for Earth's rotation is the gravitational force between Earth and the Sun. This force acts as a centripetal force, pulling Earth towards the center of its orbit and causing it to accelerate in a circular motion.

5. How does Earth's rotation impact our daily lives?

Earth's rotation affects our daily lives in several ways. It creates the cycle of day and night, determines the direction of winds and ocean currents, and influences the Earth's climate and weather patterns. It also affects the length of a day, which has implications for farming, transportation, and other daily activities.