Cheap, Waterproof Material able to withhold a Carbonated Liquid

In summary, a Design student at Brunel University London is seeking help for a project to design a cheap bottle for carbonated drinks to be sold in countries such as Uganda. The student has innovative ideas for the bottle design, but is struggling to find materials that are both cheap and strong enough to withstand the pressure of carbonated drinks. Some suggestions are given, such as searching for materials by testing capabilities and looking at existing plastic bottles, but ultimately, the student may end up using PET or other plastic due to cost and production considerations. Collaboration with SAB Miller, a drinks company, is also mentioned, as they test their bottles at higher pressures due to hot climates and potential transportation incidents.
LG911
Hi,

I am Design student at Brunel University London and was wondering if anyone could help.

One of my current projects is to design a cheap bottle/container to withhold a carbonated drink. The product must be extremely cheap as it is to be aimed at drink markets in such countries as Uganda.

I have some innovative ideas for Bottle design e.g. saving space during transport, and have also explored putting carbonated drinks into pouches (e.g. like Capri sun products)

Can anyone suggest any cheap, and relatively strong materials that could be used for these applications? Or point me in a direction?

Bottles are tested up to 8bar in pressure to give you an idea of the strength needed.

I have tried scrawling through the internet, and searched the University library for all kinds of materials and smart materials, but so far I’m having no luck.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Luke

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are doing it wrong:)

Search for all materials by the test that you will run. Then sort by the other properties you need. Finally eliminate the noise by removing stuff you know can't hold water. I would start with plastics/composites. For your other requirements you need high elasticity as seams will bust.

For a really bad shortcut: look at camelbak.

8 bar is about twice the pressure a regular carbonated soda is stored at. Why such higher pressure?

Also, since current bottles are made from plastics that can handle the pressure, why not use what is out there? You certainly won't get much cheaper than plastics that are already is huge mass production. Or is your concern in cost more centered on the capital costs for machines to make plastic bottles?

Thank you both for the replies:

Khisanthus: that seems a better way of sorting through materials, ill try searching through that way.

FredGarvin: We are collaborating with SAB Miller the drinks company and they said that they test their bottles up to 8-10bar. I guess as some of the countries they sell to can be hot, and if the bottles were to be dropped or shaken during transport, they wouldn't explode.

We can take into account the whole design process, whether it be the manufacturing process, design, materials, transport and distribution. For a company like SAB Miller i don't think they would be too worried about the intial cost for machinery.

I was just looking for a new material, but it looks like i may end up using PET, or some other such plastic. As like you say you can't get much cheaper.

Cheers.

That makes sense. Especially in warmer climates. Good point.

I would think that your time may be well spent examining your new design and looking at it in terms of being a production-ready design. I can't see you saving a whole lot on material unless it came in the transportation/shipping area. Maybe local manufacturers in stead of over seas?

What is the cheapest material that can withstand carbonated liquids?

The cheapest material that can withstand carbonated liquids is plastic. Specifically, polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is a common plastic used for carbonated beverage bottles.

Can plastic be made waterproof?

Yes, plastic can be made waterproof through the process of laminating. This involves coating the plastic with a thin layer of waterproof material, such as polyurethane, to prevent any liquid from seeping through.

What makes a material able to withstand carbonated liquids?

A material that is able to withstand carbonated liquids must have a high resistance to both physical and chemical reactions. This means it must be able to withstand the pressure and acidity of carbonated drinks without degrading or breaking.

Is there a difference between waterproof and liquid-proof?

Yes, there is a difference between waterproof and liquid-proof. Waterproof means that the material can resist the penetration of water, while liquid-proof means that it can resist the penetration of any type of liquid. Some materials may be waterproof but not liquid-proof, as they may be susceptible to other types of liquids such as oils or chemicals.

Are there any environmentally-friendly options for cheap, waterproof materials that can withstand carbonated liquids?

Yes, there are environmentally-friendly options for cheap, waterproof materials that can withstand carbonated liquids. One example is biodegradable plastics, which are made from natural materials and can break down over time. Another option is using recycled plastic, which helps reduce waste and pollution.