How much does undergrad school matter for math grad school?

In summary, it is advisable to speak with the universities you are considering to see what their expectations are.
mathematicsma
I'm sure similar things have been asked before, but this is a little different (I think).
(I don't want to go into academia, and I don't think I'm going to go for a PhD. I think I'm going to try to get a master's in some sort of applied math and work in industry.)
How competitive are math graduate schools?
Also, how much math background will I need?
Thanks. I hope I'm not incurring the wrath of the old-timers here by asking and old question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody? Is there a reason I'm not getting an answer, or does no one know the answer? Thanks

I'm not sure how competitive master's programs typically are.
Undergraduate requirements will vary from school to school, and its best to check with the schools you are thinking about applying to.
For a MS in Applied Math, The University of Illinois says:
It is strongly recommended that the entering student has taken at least one course in each of linear algebra, real analysis, probability or statistics, and differential equations and has training in computer programming.

Hello mathematicsma,

I think it would be best to contact the universities at which you plan to pursue graduate studies. Graduate programs at universities will be different with regards to their expectations and requirements.

I am sure others here can offer some additional advice, but I think this would be a good start.

Math is too huge a field to answer, maybe if you narrow your interests you can get more suitable answers.

You have people who did undergraduate studies in econ, comp sci, physics who pursued a phd in math. As Lateraius said you need to look at programs so you get a feel for their expectations. You have programs that start almsot from scratch in their first year (using Rudin and Herstein) and others who will expect you to come in and hit the ground running.

1. How important is the reputation of the undergrad school for math grad school?

The reputation of the undergrad school does play a role in the admissions process for math grad school, but it is not the only factor that is considered. Admissions committees also look at your academic performance, letters of recommendation, and research experience.

2. Does attending a prestigious undergrad school give me a better chance of getting into a top math grad program?

Attending a prestigious undergrad school can definitely give you an advantage in the admissions process, as these schools typically have strong math programs and resources. However, it is not a guarantee and other factors such as your academic performance and research experience are also important.

3. Is it better to attend a small liberal arts college or a large research university for undergrad if I want to pursue math grad school?

Both types of schools can provide a strong foundation for math grad school, so it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. Small liberal arts colleges often have smaller class sizes and more opportunities for research, while large research universities may offer more diverse math courses and resources.

4. Do I need to major in math as an undergrad to get into math grad school?

While a major in math can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Admissions committees are looking for strong quantitative and analytical skills, so a major in a related field such as physics, computer science, or engineering can also be a good preparation for math grad school.

5. Can I still get into a good math grad school if I didn't perform well in my undergrad math courses?

Your performance in undergrad math courses is definitely an important factor in the admissions process for math grad school. However, if you have a strong overall academic record, research experience, and strong letters of recommendation, it is still possible to get into a good math grad school. It may also be helpful to explain any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your performance in your undergrad math courses in your application.