Parallel/Series Circuit w/ Capacitors

In summary, the question is about handling an arrangement of capacitors and how the presence of a horizontal line changes whether they are in series or parallel. Without the line, the pairs of capacitors can be condensed as if they were in series and then wired in parallel. The discussion also mentions that two loads are in parallel if their terminals are connected to the same two nodes, and there are 3 nodes in this particular circuit.
littlebilly91
I am doing a problem about equivalent capacitors and I am not sure how I should handle this arrangement. How does the horizontal line (with the arrow) change whether the capacitors are in series or parallel? I know without that line you can condense the pairs of capacitors as if they were in series and then take those two equivalent capacitors are wired in parallel, but the horizontal line does complicate things a bit.
Thanks.

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 348
Physics news on Phys.org
Two loads are in parallel if their terminals connected to the same two nodes ( they have the same voltage across the terminals)

Hence, there are 3 nodes in this circuit

Oh, i never looked at it like that, thanks a lot

1. What is a parallel circuit?

A parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected to each other in a way that allows current to flow through multiple paths. In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each component is the same, but the current can vary.

2. What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in a single loop or path, so the current flows through each component in succession. In a series circuit, the current is the same throughout the entire circuit, but the voltage can vary.

3. What is the difference between a parallel and series circuit?

The main difference between a parallel and series circuit is the way the components are connected. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in parallel, whereas in a series circuit, they are connected in series. This results in different properties, such as the voltage and current, being the same or varying in each circuit.

4. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between them.

5. How do capacitors behave in parallel and series circuits?

In a parallel circuit, capacitors add together, meaning the total capacitance is the sum of the individual capacitances. In a series circuit, capacitors have the opposite effect and decrease the total capacitance. This is because the capacitors are connected in a way that reduces the overall voltage across them, resulting in a decrease in the amount of charge that can be stored.