Square roots of positive numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding the square root of positive real numbers and how it can result in both positive and negative solutions. The equation lambda^2 = ab is used as an example to illustrate this concept. The conversation concludes with a numerical example to further explain the concept.
bluskies

Homework Statement

If a and b are positive real numbers, and [tex]\lambda^{2} = ab[/tex], then [tex]\lambda = \pm \sqrt{ab}[/tex].

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is more of a conceptual question that has always escaped me. I do not understand how the square root of two positive numbers could possibly be negative. Since a and b are positive, how can there be any negatives in the square root of their product? Any guidance on this subject would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
(-1)2 =1

so squaring -√(ab) will give (ab) regardless of a + or - before the square root.

I think you might be looking too hard into this. There are no negatives in the square root. the negative is outside it. say both a and b are 5. then lambda² = 25. lambda therefore is equal to positive root(25) or negative root(25). Or in other terms, lambda² = 5² or (-5)²

A numerical example can illustrate this. Let a = 1 and b = 4 for instance. Then we have [tex]\lambda^{2} = 4[/tex]. We realize however, that because negatives cancel upon multiplication, in fact [tex](-2)^2 = 2^(2) = 4[/tex], and so both -2 and 2 are possible solutions.

Thank y'all for your help, that makes sense now. :)

1. What is a square root?

A square root is a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, because 5 x 5 = 25. It is essentially the "opposite" of squaring a number.

2. What is the difference between a positive and negative square root?

A positive square root is the principal (or main) square root of a number, and it is always expressed as a positive number. A negative square root is the opposite of the principal square root and is expressed as a negative number. For example, the square root of 9 is 3, but the square root of -9 is -3.

3. Can every positive number have a square root?

Yes, every positive number has a square root. However, some square roots are irrational numbers (cannot be expressed as a simple fraction) and some are imaginary numbers (containing the imaginary unit i).

4. How do I find the square root of a positive number?

The most common method for finding the square root of a positive number is by using a calculator. You can also estimate the square root by finding the perfect square that is closest to the number and then using a process called "long division" to find the decimal approximation.

5. What are some real-life applications of square roots of positive numbers?

Square roots of positive numbers are used in many different fields, including engineering, physics, and finance. For example, in engineering, square roots are used to calculate the length of the sides of a right triangle, and in finance, they are used to calculate the interest rate needed to double an investment. They are also used in everyday tasks such as measuring the sides of a square or finding the distance between two points on a coordinate plane.