Tight-Binding Model: Exploring Wavefunction Constancy

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of the tight-binding model, specifically the wavefunction for each atom in the lattice. The Hamiltonian H is used to solve for the eigenvectors ψ and the conversation clarifies that these eigenvectors do not correspond to a constant wavefunction for each atom, but rather include contributions from both atoms in the unit cell.
Niles
Hi

I've been reading about the tight-binding model, and I have some questions. Let's say we have the Hamiltonian H for our lattice, and it satisfies

Hψ = Eψ,

where ψ is a vector containing the wavefunction for each atom in the lattice. When I solve the above equation e.g. numerically, I get the eigenvectors ψ. In my case the ψ's just contain numbers, but does this mean that the waverfuncion for each atom is constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it doesn't mean the wavefunction is a constant.
Say you have two atoms in the unit cell, and one orbital for each atom. Then your Hamiltonian is 2x2, and your wavefunction is a two component vector. The values of these components indicate the relative contribution of each atom. If [tex]\phi_i(r)[/tex] are your basis orbitals, then your wavefunction is

[tex]u_k(r) = c_1 \phi_1(r) + c_2 \phi_2(r)[/tex]

Note that this is the solution for the periodic part of the Bloch wavefunction, so there is a long range exp(ik*r) phase factor.

Ok, so the two eigenvectors I get have the above form. Does each eigenvector (and corresponding eigenvalue) corresponding to a single particle state? I.e., eigenvector #1 is for the single particle state at atom #1 and eigenvector #2 is for the single particle state at atom #2?

I really appreciate this. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes they refer to single particle states. But the second part is wrong.

If you have two eigenvectors, they will be of form (a, b) and (-b, a), as required by orthogonality. The first state (a,b) will be a single particle state that has a contribution a from atom 1 and a contribution b from atom 2. You will not get "eigenvector #1 is for the single particle state at atom #1 and eigenvector #2 is for the single particle state at atom #2?" unless b = 0, which will only happen if your Hamiltonian is diagonal. Both eigenvectors will have contributions on both atoms for realistic tight binding models.

Thank you. That clarified it for me.

1. What is the Tight-Binding Model?

The Tight-Binding Model is a theoretical framework used in solid state physics to describe the electronic structure of materials. It is based on the idea that the electrons in a solid can be approximated as moving independently in a crystal lattice potential.

2. How does the Tight-Binding Model explain wavefunction constancy?

The Tight-Binding Model explains wavefunction constancy by considering the wavefunctions of electrons in a solid to be a combination of atomic orbitals, which remain constant in shape and energy as they interact with neighboring atoms. This allows for the wavefunctions to maintain their constancy as the electrons move through the solid.

3. What is the significance of wavefunction constancy in the Tight-Binding Model?

Wavefunction constancy is significant in the Tight-Binding Model because it allows for the description of electronic properties of materials, such as their electrical conductivity and optical properties. It also allows for the prediction of material properties and behavior, making it a valuable tool in materials research and engineering.

4. How do scientists use the Tight-Binding Model to explore wavefunction constancy?

Scientists use the Tight-Binding Model to explore wavefunction constancy by calculating the wavefunctions and energy levels of electrons in a solid using quantum mechanical principles. These calculations can then be compared to experimental data to validate the model and make predictions about the behavior of the material.

5. What are some limitations of the Tight-Binding Model in regards to wavefunction constancy?

Some limitations of the Tight-Binding Model in regards to wavefunction constancy include its reliance on simplifying assumptions, such as only considering nearest neighbor interactions and neglecting electron-electron interactions. Additionally, it may not accurately describe materials with strong covalent bonding or highly delocalized electrons.