Focal point of image in magnifying glass

In summary, the statement that a real image is produced between the observer's near point and infinity when using a magnifying glass is false because a magnifying glass creates a virtual image, not a real one.
ghostbuster25
I have been given a statement and have to decide if it is true or false and then justify my answer.
I have already established that this statement is false by the fact that a magnifying glass
creates a 'virtual image' not a 'real' one but i am having trouble working out what else is false about it.

ok here's the statement;

In the normal use of the magnify, the object is placed within the observer's near point distance and a real image is produced between the observers near point and infinity. This image subtends a greater angle at the observers eye than does the object in its position between the near point and the eye.

any help would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
.This statement is false because the image formed by a magnifying glass is a virtual image, not a real image. A virtual image is an image that appears to be located behind the mirror but does not actually exist. The light rays that form this image do not come from the object itself, but rather they appear to come from the virtual image. Consequently, the image does not subtend a greater angle at the observer's eye than does the object.

1. What is a focal point?

A focal point is the point at which light rays converge after passing through a lens, resulting in a clear and magnified image.

2. How does a magnifying glass create a focal point?

A magnifying glass is a convex lens that bends and converges light rays, creating a focal point where the rays meet. This allows for a larger and clearer image to be seen through the lens.

3. Can the focal point of a magnifying glass be adjusted?

Yes, the focal point of a magnifying glass can be adjusted by changing the distance between the lens and the object being viewed. Moving the object closer to the lens will result in a shorter focal length and a sharper image, while moving it further away will increase the focal length and make the image appear smaller.

4. How does the size of the object being viewed affect the focal point?

The size of the object being viewed does not affect the focal point of a magnifying glass. The focal point is determined by the shape and curvature of the lens, not the size of the object.

5. Can a magnifying glass have multiple focal points?

No, a magnifying glass typically has one focal point where the light rays converge. However, certain types of lenses, such as bifocal or multifocal lenses, may have multiple focal points for different levels of magnification.