Perturbation Theory/Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ground state and second-order energy value for a given Hamiltonian involving a harmonic oscillator and a perturbation term. The second order eigenenergy equation is used to solve for the two wave functions involved in the sandwiching of the Hamiltonian operator. When dealing with degenerate perturbation theory, matrix elements must be calculated using the raising and lowering operators. If the Hamiltonian is isotropic, there will be degeneracies and the problem can be separated into two dimensions.
Void123

Homework Statement

I am given the hamiltonian, where [tex]H^{^}_{0}[/tex] is that of the harmonic oscillator and the perturbation is (lambda)*(h-bar)*(omega)*[(lowering operator)^2 + (raising operator)^2]. I am asked to find the ground state, second-order approx. energy value.

Homework Equations

Second order eigenenergy equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have written out the whole hamiltonian. Do I need to expand the lowering-raising operators in terms of n? I am a bit lost on what to plug into the second order equation for the two wave functions m and n (which sandwich the Hamiltonian operator).

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the "meat" of the sandwich is the perturbing Hamiltonian,

[tex]H'=\hbar\omega(a_+^2+a_-^2)[/tex]

Since you are looking for the second order correction to the ground state, one of the "breads", say the bra, should be <0|. Suppose you were to write the other "bread" (the ket) as |n>. What do you get when you operate on that with a+2 and a-2? What does the resulting ket need to be in order not to have a zero matrix element?

What if I am dealing with degenerate perturbation theory? In the case of the harmonic oscillator, do I need to set up the matrix and find the eigenvalues or can I just take advantage of the lowering and raising operators acting on the eigenstate? Thanks.

What is your Hamiltonian? More to the point, is the ground state degenerate? In any case, "setting up the matrix" involves calculating matrix elements using the raising and lowering operators as I showed you. That you should do, degeneracy or no degeneracy.

I have a question though: if the harmonic oscillator is (isotropic), how would two (lowering and raising) operators multiply each other, assuming they are from two different dimensions (e.g. x and y). Would you 'go up or down the ladder' the same way one usually would except plug in the different n-values for x and y, accordingly?

In other words if you had [tex]a_{x} a_{y}[/tex], which are both lowering operators, would you go the typical route of bumping the eigenstate by |n-1>, |n-2>, etc. but plug in [tex]n_{x}[/tex] and [tex]n_{y}[/tex]?

The raising and lowering operators is still a fuzzy area with me.

Last edited:
That is why I asked you to tell me what your Hamiltonian looks like. If you have a two-dimensional isotropic Hamiltonian, you have degeneracies. However, if you write it in Cartesian coordinates, you can separate variables and you can treat each dimension independently. And yes, you get two ladders, one for x and one for y.

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical tool used to approximate solutions to problems in physics, engineering, and other fields. It involves breaking down a complex problem into a simpler one with known solutions, and then using these solutions to find an approximate solution to the original problem.

2. How does perturbation theory apply to the harmonic oscillator?

Perturbation theory is commonly used to analyze the behavior of a harmonic oscillator that is subject to small external forces or disturbances. By treating the external forces as perturbations, the perturbation theory allows us to calculate how the oscillator's motion changes due to these disturbances.

3. What is the difference between first-order and second-order perturbation theory?

In first-order perturbation theory, the perturbations are assumed to be small and their effects on the system are accounted for in a linear manner. In second-order perturbation theory, the perturbations are considered to be larger and their effects are taken into account in a quadratic manner, resulting in a more accurate solution to the problem.

4. How is perturbation theory used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, perturbation theory is used to calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of a quantum system in the presence of small perturbations. This is particularly useful in systems where the perturbations cannot be solved exactly, such as the Hydrogen atom with a non-uniform electric field.

5. What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory relies on the assumption that the perturbations are small, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, it may not provide accurate solutions for highly nonlinear or chaotic systems. In such cases, other numerical or analytical methods may be more appropriate.