Solve (cos x)y''-y'+y=0 Using Reduction Method

In summary, the reduction method is a technique used to solve second-order differential equations by rewriting them as a system of first-order equations. This method involves introducing new variables and manipulating the original equation to create a simpler system that can be solved using standard methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or variation of parameters. The purpose of using this method is to solve more complicated differential equations in a systematic way, but it may not work for all equations and can be complex and time-consuming. To apply the reduction method to the equation (cos x)y''-y'+y=0, a new variable u is introduced and the equation is rewritten as a system of first-order equations that can be solved using standard methods.
bobey
find the general solution of (cos x)y''-y'+y = 0

L[y1] = 0
L[y2] = 0

L[y1] x y2 : (cos x)y1'' y2 - y1'y2 + y1y2 = 0 ...(i)
L[y2] x y1 : (cos x)y2'' y1 - y2'y1 + y1y2 = 0 ...(ii)

(i) -(ii) : (cos x)(y2''y1 - y1''y2) - (y2'y1 - y1'y2) = 0

W = | y1 y2 | = y1y2' - y2y1'
| y1' y2'|

W' = y1'y2'+y1y2''-y2'y1' - y2y1''
= y1y2'' - y2y1''

(cos x) W' - W = 0
W' - (1/cos x) W = 0

miu(x) exp(-integration of (1/cos x dx) = exp(- ln |cos x|)
= 1/cos x

integration of d (W.(1/cos x)) = 0 x integration of (1/cos x) dx
W/cos x = c, c= constant
W = c cos x

Since W = y1y2' - y2y1' ..(*)

let y1 = x^r y1' = r(x^(r-1))thus insert y1 and y2 in (*) : W = x^r(y2')-(rx^(r-1)(y2))
= x^r (y2' - (1/x)y2)
= x^r(y2' -(1/x)y2) = c cos x

===> y1' - (1/x) y2 = (c/(x^r) x cos x) ...(**)

miu(x) = exp (- integration of (1/x) dx) = 1/x

miu(x) x (**) : integration of (y x (1/x)) = integration of (r/(x^r+1) x cos x) dxi get stuck here... how can i integrate the above function since it involves 3 variables - x,y and r... huhuhu... please help me...

is there any other way to solve this problem rather than reduction method? anyone?:cry:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dunno if I can help you or not because it isn't clear what you are asking. You titled the thread "method of reduction". I would normally take that to mean reducing the order of the DE by using a known solution. But that doesn't seem to be what you are doing since you didn't indicate you have one solution. Could you be a bit more clear about what you are trying to do?

LCKurtz said:
Dunno if I can help you or not because it isn't clear what you are asking. You titled the thread "method of reduction". I would normally take that to mean reducing the order of the DE by using a known solution. But that doesn't seem to be what you are doing since you didn't indicate you have one solution. Could you be a bit more clear about what you are trying to do?

find the general solution of (cos x)y''-y'+y = 0

this i so the question, so in my opinion, the method of reduction is the best method to solve the question. is there any other way that much more easier than this?

another way of my attempt is

[tex](cos x)y''-y'+y = 0[/tex]

[tex]y''- \frac{ y'}{cos x}+ \frac{y}{cos x} = 0[/tex]

The roots of the characteristic equation are the solutions to this problem.

[tex]\lambda^2 - \frac{ \lambda }{cos x} + \frac{1}{cos x} = 0[/tex]

If the roots don't present in nice form, like in the case of this equation, you can put them into the quadratic equation.

[tex]\frac{ secx +/- \sqrt{ sec^2 x - 4secx } }{2}[/tex]

Just taking the posative root for now

[tex]\frac{ secx + \sqrt{ secx } \sqrt{ secx - 4 } }{2}[/tex]

Well...I'm not sure how to simplify this but this is one of our solutions (e to the power of this). :confused:

Last edited:
bobey said:
another way of my attempt is

\(\displaystyle (cos x)y''-y'+y = 0\)

\(\displaystyle y''- \frac{ y'}{cos x}+ \frac{y}{cos x} = 0\)

The roots of the characteristic equation are the solutions to this problem.

\(\displaystyle \lambda^2 - \frac{ \lambda }{cos x} + \frac{1}{cos x} = 0\)

Stop right there. This is not a constant coefficient differential equation, and you can't solve it with the characteristic equation method used for constant coefficient differential equations.

Also, use [tex] tags, not \(\displaystyle tags to display mathematics. You can alway preview your post to see if it displays correctly.

As far as solving your DE goes, I don't know how to solve it. Maybe someone else will see a way.\)

1. What is the reduction method?

The reduction method is a technique used to solve second-order differential equations by reducing them to a system of first-order equations. It involves introducing new variables and manipulating the original equation to create a simpler system that can be solved using standard methods.

2. How does the reduction method work?

The reduction method involves rewriting the original equation as a system of first-order equations, typically by introducing new variables. Then, the system can be solved using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or variation of parameters.

3. What is the purpose of using the reduction method?

The purpose of using the reduction method is to solve more complicated second-order differential equations by reducing them to a system of first-order equations, which can be solved using standard methods. This method allows for a more systematic approach to solving differential equations and can be applied to a wide range of problems.

4. Are there any limitations to using the reduction method?

Yes, there are limitations to using the reduction method. It may not work for all types of second-order differential equations, and the process of reducing the equation to a system of first-order equations can be complex and time-consuming. Additionally, the method may not yield an explicit solution, and numerical methods may be needed to obtain an approximate solution.

5. How is the reduction method applied to solve (cos x)y''-y'+y=0?

To apply the reduction method to this equation, we first introduce a new variable, u, such that u = y'. Then, we can rewrite the original equation as a system of first-order equations: y' = u and u' = y - (cos x)y'. This system can then be solved using standard methods such as separation of variables or variation of parameters.