Integrals with curl dot products

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems. The first problem involves evaluating an integral over a closed surface bounded by three graphs and a given vector field. The second problem involves using Stokes's Theorem to evaluate another integral over a surface described by an equation. The conversation also includes attempts at solving the problems, including finding the curl and using a theorem to find the differential vector. However, there are discrepancies between the given answers and the solutions provided.
clairez93

Homework Statement

1. Evaluate [tex]\int_{S}\int curl F \cdot N dS[/tex] where S is the closed surface of the solid bounded by the graphs of x = 4, z = 9 - y^2, and the coordinate planes.

F(x,y,z) = (4xy + z^2)i + (2x^2 + 6y)j + 2xzk

2. Use Stokes's Theorem to evaluate [tex]\int_{C}F\cdot T dS[/tex]

F(x,y,z) = xyzi + yj +zk
S: 3x+4y+2z=12, first octant

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. For this one, I found the curl to be -6yi. However, I am at a loss as to how to get the N dS part without some sort of given equation for S? The book answer is 0.

First I found the curl to be:
[tex]xyj - xzk[/tex]

I then used a theorem in my book to find N ds:
3/2i + 2j + k

Then I took the dot product:
[tex]<0, xy, -xz> \cdot <\frac{3}{2}, 2, 1> = 2xy - xz[/tex]

Integrating:
[tex]\int^{4}_{0}\int^{4-\frac{4y}{3}}_{0}(2xy-x(-\frac{3x}{2} - 2y + 6)*dx*dy [/tex]
which comes out to 64/27.

The book answer is 0.

Any pointers as to what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
clairez93 said:
1. For this one, I found the curl to be -6yi. However, I am at a loss as to how to get the N dS part without some sort of given equation for S? The book answer is 0.

You can either use Stokes' theorem for this, and the answer will be immediate; or you can find the equation of the surface that bounds the volume described in the question and integrate directly. (If you are going to use the second method, I recommend you break the surface into 4 separate surfaces to make it easier, and start by sketching the volume so you can see what I mean)

then used a theorem in my book to find N ds:
3/2i + 2j + k

Shouldn't [itex]\textbf{n}dS[/itex] be a differential vector?:wink:

1. What is an integral with a curl dot product?

An integral with a curl dot product is a mathematical expression used in vector calculus to represent the flux of a vector field through a surface. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the curl of the vector field and the unit normal vector of the surface, and then integrating over the surface.

2. What is the significance of integrals with curl dot products in physics?

Integrals with curl dot products have significant applications in physics, particularly in electromagnetism. They are used to calculate the flow of electric and magnetic fields through a surface, which is important in understanding electromagnetic phenomena such as Faraday's law and Ampere's law.

3. How are integrals with curl dot products related to Stokes' theorem?

Integrals with curl dot products are closely related to Stokes' theorem, which states that the integral of a vector field over a closed surface is equal to the line integral of the vector field around the boundary of the surface. This is because the curl dot product integral can be rewritten as a line integral using Stokes' theorem.

4. What are some common applications of integrals with curl dot products?

Integrals with curl dot products are commonly used in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics and engineering to calculate the flow of vector fields through surfaces. They are also used in the study of circulation and vorticity in fluids.

5. How can I solve integrals with curl dot products?

Solving integrals with curl dot products requires a good understanding of vector calculus and the properties of vector fields. It also involves applying various integration techniques, such as substitution and integration by parts. It is important to carefully consider the geometry of the surface and the direction of the vector field when setting up the integral.