Calculate Voltage: R1-R6, I4 = 4A

• Thread starter stefanomm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, to calculate the total voltage U in the given circuit, we first find the equivalent resistance of R2, R3, and R4 in parallel, which is 10 ohms. Then, we add this to R1 and R6, giving a total equivalent resistance of 53.33 ohms. Next, we use Ohm's Law to find the overall current, I, which is equal to I4. Plugging this into the equation U=IR, we get U=4*53.33=213.33V. However, this is not the correct answer as we need to take into account the voltage drop across R4. Therefore, we need to use the voltage divider rule to find the voltage
stefanomm

Homework Statement

R1=30Ω R2=20Ω R3=20Ω R4=10Ω R5=40Ω R6=10Ω I4=4A
I need to calculate U (total voltage)
schematic:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2jvbx2.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

R23=1/(1/10+1/20)=10ohm
R234=10+10=20ohm
R2345=1/(1/R234+1/R5)=1/(1/20+1/40)=13,33ohm
Rv=R1+R2345+R6=30+13.33+10=53,33ohm
U=I4*Rv=4*53.33=213,33V

213,33V is not correct...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi stefanomm! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
stefanomm said:
U=I4*Rv=4*53.33=213,33V

No, I4 is the current through R4 only

you need to find the "overall" current

(call it I, and find the relation between I and I4). :smile:

1. How do I calculate the voltage for R1-R6 if I4 is 4A?

In order to calculate the voltage for R1-R6, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). So, in this case, you would simply multiply 4A (the given current for I4) by the total resistance of R1-R6, which should be provided in the problem. This will give you the voltage for R1-R6.

2. What is the significance of R1-R6 in this calculation?

R1-R6 represents the total resistance of the circuit. In order to calculate the voltage, we need to know the total resistance that the current (I4) will encounter. This is why it is important to include R1-R6 in the calculation.

3. Can I use a different unit for current instead of amperes (A)?

Yes, you can use a different unit for current as long as it is consistent with the unit of resistance. For example, if the resistance is given in ohms (Ω), then you can use any unit of current that can be converted to amperes, such as milliamperes (mA) or kiloamperes (kA).

4. What if I don't have the total resistance for R1-R6?

If you do not have the total resistance for R1-R6, you can calculate it by adding up the individual resistances for each component. Make sure to use the correct units for resistance (ohms) and to add them in series if they are connected in a series circuit, or in parallel if they are connected in a parallel circuit.

5. Is this calculation affected by the direction of the current flow?

No, the voltage calculation is not affected by the direction of the current flow. As long as the values for current and resistance are correct, the voltage will be the same regardless of the direction of the current flow.