Mathematical induction and arithmetic progression

In summary, the conversation discusses using mathematical induction to prove that, for n>= 2, n is an element of all positive integers. The participants use the fact that the terms of the arithmetic progression are positive and that {un} is an arithmetic sequence. They also use the equation \frac{1}{u_m} - \frac{1}{u_n} = \frac{u_n-u_m}{u_mu_n} to solve the problem. One participant shares a helpful link on mathematical induction while another participant is stuck on a specific part of the proof.
elitewarr

Homework Statement

All the terms of the arithmetic progression u1,u2,u3...,un are positive. Use mathematical induction to prove that, for n>= 2, n is an element of all positive integers,

[ 1/ (u1u2) ] + [ 1/ (u2u3) ] + [ 1/ (u3u4) ] + ... + [ 1/ (un-1un) ] = ( n - 1 ) / ( u1un)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved that P(2) is true. However, I tried to prove that P(K+1) is true but to no avail.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that {un} is an arithmetic sequence along with

[tex]\frac{1}{u_m} - \frac{1}{u_n} = \frac{u_n-u_m}{u_mu_n}[/tex]

Solved. Thanks a lot!

This helped a lot for me on the induction concept:

http ://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Mathematical_induction

i know this thread is old... but i need a little help on the exact same question...

i'm stuck at:

[tex]P(k+1)=\frac{kU_{k+1}-U_{k+1}+U_1}{U_1U_kU_{k+1}}[/tex]

i need to prove that this equals to:

[tex]\frac{k}{U_1U_{k+1}}[/tex]

but i can't see the link at all... is there something missing ?~

claire44 said:
i know this thread is old... but i need a little help on the exact same question...

i'm stuck at:

[tex]P(k+1)=\frac{kU_{k+1}-U_{k+1}+U_1}{U_1U_kU_{k+1}}[/tex]

i need to prove that this equals to:

[tex]\frac{k}{U_1U_{k+1}}[/tex]

but i can't see the link at all... is there something missing ?~

What do you have for your induction hypothesis? I.e., P(k).

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove statements about a set of numbers, such as a sequence or series. It is based on the principle that if the statement holds true for a starting value (usually 0 or 1), and if it can be proven that the statement is true for the next value assuming it is true for the current value, then it can be concluded that the statement is true for all values in the set.

2. What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers where the difference between any two consecutive terms is constant. This constant difference is called the common difference, and it is usually denoted by the letter d. The first term in an arithmetic progression is denoted by a1, the second term by a2, and so on. The general form of an arithmetic progression is a1, a1 + d, a1 + 2d, a1 + 3d, and so on.

3. How is mathematical induction used to prove statements about arithmetic progressions?

To prove a statement about an arithmetic progression using mathematical induction, we follow these steps:

1. Prove the statement is true for the first term in the progression (usually a1).
  2. Assume the statement is true for the kth term in the progression (ak).
  3. Using this assumption, prove that the statement is also true for the (k+1)th term (ak+1).
  4. Conclude that the statement is true for all terms in the progression.

4. What are some common examples of statements about arithmetic progressions that can be proven using mathematical induction?

Some common examples include proving that a certain formula holds true for all terms in the progression, that the sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic progression follows a specific pattern, or that the product of the first n terms of an arithmetic progression can be simplified to a certain formula.

5. Can mathematical induction be used to prove statements about other types of sequences besides arithmetic progressions?

Yes, mathematical induction can be used to prove statements about any type of sequence or series, including geometric progressions, binomial coefficients, and Fibonacci numbers. As long as the statement can be shown to be true for the first term and for the next term assuming it is true for the current term, it can be proven using mathematical induction.