Solving for F(x) = 1 / (sec x) + cos x

• Thread starter Short term memory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos
In summary, the problem is to simplify F(x) = 1 / ( 1+tan^2 x)^.5 - cos x for the range of 0 < x < pi/2. The solution involves substituting (1+tan^2 x)^.5 with sec^2 x and simplifying to 1 / sec x + cos x. The final answer is 0. The same approach can be used for the next problem with the range of pi < x < 3pi/2.
Short term memory
problem: Simplify F(x) = 1 / ( 1+tan^2 x)^.5 - cos x :0<x<pi/2

ok the only thing i can think of to substitute in was (1+tan^2 x)^.5 = sec^2 x ...

so i got the problem down to 1 / (sec^2 x)^.5 + cos and then become stucks

i m thinken i can just say it is 1 / (sec x) + cos... not sure if that will work or not

thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track...here's a hint: 1\secx = cosx

ya but then cos x - cos x = 0...

(i had actually worked it out using that but i didn't think the answer would be zero... esp since the next problem is the same the only differnce is that it is from pi < x < 3 pi / 2)

i guess i just needed a second untainted opion... thanks

Last edited:

1. What does it mean to solve for F(x)?

Solving for F(x) means finding the value of F(x) that satisfies the equation given. In this case, we are looking for the value of x that makes the equation F(x) = 1 / (sec x) + cos x true.

2. How do you solve for F(x) = 1 / (sec x) + cos x?

To solve this equation, we need to first simplify the right side by using the trigonometric identity sec x = 1/cos x. This gives us F(x) = cos x + cos x. Then, we can combine like terms and solve for F(x) by isolating it on one side of the equation. The solution will depend on the range of values for x.

3. What is the domain and range of F(x) = 1 / (sec x) + cos x?

The domain of F(x) is all real numbers except for values where cos x = 0, since division by 0 is undefined. This means that the domain of F(x) is all real numbers except for x = π/2 + nπ, where n is any integer. The range of F(x) can be any real number, as long as the corresponding value of x is in the domain.

4. Can this equation be solved algebraically or do I need a graphing calculator?

This equation can be solved algebraically by simplifying the right side and isolating F(x), as mentioned before. However, a graphing calculator can also be used to visualize the solution and check for any potential errors or extraneous solutions.

5. How can I use this equation in real-world applications?

This equation can be used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to solve for unknown values in mathematical models or equations. It can also be used in astronomy to calculate the position of celestial objects. Additionally, it can be used in everyday life to solve problems involving trigonometric functions, such as finding the angle of elevation or depression.