What is the connection between BPS soliton definitions?

• Thread starter FeynmanRulz
  • Start date
In summary, a BPS soliton is a soliton that satisfies the Bogomolny bound and also preserves some supersymmetry. This connection between the two definitions allows for exact non-perturbative statements to be made in supersymmetric theories.
FeynmanRulz
From what I've read earlier, the definition of a BPS soliton is a soliton satisfying a Bogomolny bound (mass bounded from below). Now, I have encountered another definition, which says that a BPS soliton is a soliton preserving (at least some) supersymmetry. I don't really understand the connection between these two definitions. An explanation of this matter would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
FeynmanRulz said:
From what I've read earlier, the definition of a BPS soliton is a soliton satisfying a Bogomolny bound (mass bounded from below). Now, I have encountered another definition, which says that a BPS soliton is a soliton preserving (at least some) supersymmetry. I don't really understand the connection between these two definitions. An explanation of this matter would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

The Bogomolny bound is independent from supersymmetry. It describes a minimum energy solution of the classical field equations. However, there is a priori no reason why it should hold when quantum corrections are included.

This is where supersymmetry comes to the rescure: if the solution preserves some supersymmetry, then there are no such quantum corerections and the Bogomolny bound is true also in the full quantum theory. This fact allows to make exact non-perturbative statements in supersymmetric gauge and string theories (which would be almost impossible to make in theories without supersymmetry).

1. What are BPS solitons?

BPS solitons, also known as Bogomol'nyi-Prasad-Sommerfield solitons, are topologically stable solutions to certain field equations in theoretical physics. These solutions are characterized by having a finite energy and preserving a fraction of the supersymmetry of the underlying theory.

2. What is the significance of BPS solitons?

BPS solitons have important implications in various areas of theoretical physics, such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. They provide insights into the dynamics and symmetries of physical systems and have been used to explain phenomena such as magnetic monopoles and domain walls.

3. How are BPS solitons different from regular solitons?

BPS solitons are distinguished from regular solitons by their topological stability and preservation of supersymmetry. Regular solitons, on the other hand, are not topologically protected and do not necessarily have any connection to supersymmetry.

4. Can BPS solitons be observed in nature?

While BPS solitons have been extensively studied and used in theoretical physics, there is currently no experimental evidence to suggest that they exist in the physical world. However, some theories predict the existence of BPS solitons in certain systems, so further research and experimentation may provide evidence for their existence.

5. How are BPS solitons studied?

BPS solitons are typically studied using mathematical tools and techniques, such as differential equations, topology, and supersymmetry. These solutions are often found through numerical simulations and analytical approximations, and their properties and behaviors are analyzed and compared to theoretical predictions.