Do we divide by the wet or the dry ?

• Thread starter hashmos
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the correct equation for calculating moisture in sand samples. The equation commonly used involves dividing the difference between the weight of wet sand and dry sand by the dry weight, which leads to confusion as some argue that the division should be done by the wet weight. The analogy of dividing fruits to calculate the percentage of apples was used to explain the confusion.
hashmos
Do we divide by the wet or the dry ?!

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if this is the right fourm to post my question in, but I hope it is.

When I first went to calibrate a moisture sensor used in Sand Bins in A readymix plant, I used an equation I cannot that I don't feel is correct, yet all the world uses it.

It states that to calucalte the moisture in the labrotory, you have to take a sample of wet sand, weight it, then dry it and weigh the dry sand.

Afterwards, we take the difference of both weights. which gives us the weigh of the moisture in the wet sand sample. Now, and wherever I look for, I find that the division is over the dry weight, not the wet, then ofcourse you multiply it by a hundred to get the precent of moisture.

I cannot see why we divide by the dry and not the wet. It's driving me crazy. Let's say I have a basket of fruit, 3 apples and 3 oranges. When I want to know the percentage of apples, I divide 3 by the total number of fruits, which is 6. In the sand moisture application, and according to the fruit example, we should divide by the wet not the dry, since the mixture of both is the wait of the wet, and I want to know the percentage of the moisture in the wet.

The equations is %moisture = ( weight of the wet - weight of the dry ) / weight of the dry.

Waiting for your clarifications.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

This way 100% moisture is a quantity that could actually happen. I agree that calling it percentage is not very good, but this also happens with 100% inclines that are actually 45 degrees and not 90 degrees.

Makes sense, and yes the terms were not chosen carefully. It is confusing.

1. Do we divide by the wet or the dry?

The answer to this question depends on the specific context and situation. In some cases, dividing by the wet is more appropriate, while in others dividing by the dry is necessary. It is important to carefully consider the variables and factors involved before making a decision.

2. How do we determine when to divide by the wet or the dry?

The determination of when to divide by the wet or the dry is based on the purpose and goal of the experiment or research. Factors such as accuracy, precision, and consistency should be considered in order to choose the appropriate method of division.

3. Are there any general rules or guidelines for dividing by the wet or the dry?

There are no set rules or guidelines for dividing by the wet or the dry. It ultimately depends on the specific variables and conditions of the experiment. However, it is important to document and justify the chosen method of division in order to ensure reproducibility and accuracy.

4. What are the potential consequences of dividing by the wet or the dry incorrectly?

Using the wrong method of division can lead to inaccurate or unreliable results. This can have serious consequences, especially in scientific research where accuracy and precision are crucial. It is important to carefully consider and validate the chosen method of division to avoid any potential consequences.

5. Are there any alternative methods to dividing by the wet or the dry?

There may be alternative methods to dividing by the wet or the dry depending on the specific situation. For example, if the experiment involves measuring the weight of a substance, using a different unit of measurement or converting to a different form may be an alternative to dividing by the wet or the dry. It is important to explore and consider all options before making a decision.