Solving 1 + 2cos(2x+ π/3) for Zeroes: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter jasper10
  • Start date
In summary, the equation 1 + 2cos(2x+ π/3) = 0 can be solved by using the sum-of-angles formula to expand the cosine function. The solutions are x = π/6 in the first quadrant and x = π/2 in the third quadrant. These values can be found by drawing a unit circle and using symmetry to determine where the cosine function is equal to -1/2.
jasper10

Homework Statement

Find the zeroes of

f(x) = 1 + 2cos(2x+ π/3)

Range: (0 ; π)

The Attempt at a Solution

1 + 2cos(2x + π/3) = 0

hence, cos(2x + π/3) = -1/2

hence, 2x + π/3 = 2π/3

and, x = π/6 which is 30 degrees

can someone help me find the other 0 ?

I don't know how to!

Thanks a lot!

(the answer is x=π/2 but i don't know how to get there!)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, I don't quite know how you went from your first step to your second, even though it does turn out to be correct. A bit of explanation would be most appreciated.

Second, have you tried using the sum-of-angles formula to expand your cosine out? It might make it easier, I think...

Ok Char. Limit,

I edited my answer and showed the transition step.

What do you mean by "the sum of angles formula" ?

Well, if one looks at the unit circle, one can see that 2*pi / 3 is one place where
cos(y) = -1/2. However, there are more places on the unit circle in which
cos(y) = -1/2. Finally, one can also add 2*pi*n to the result, and end up at
the same place.

Sir Beaver said:
Well, if one looks at the unit circle, one can see that 2*pi / 3 is one place where
cos(y) = -1/2. However, there are more places on the unit circle in which
cos(y) = -1/2. Finally, one can also add 2*pi*n to the result, and end up at
the same place.

But he restricted x to be between zero and pi...

The sum-of-angles formula is as follows:

[tex]cos(x+y)=cos(x)cos(y)-sin(x)sin(y)[/tex]

I have no idea how to prove it, but it is a theorem, I believe.

Yes, but still, one can manually inspect the formulas to see when
[tex]
2x + \pi /3 = 2\pi /3 +2\pi n
[/tex]
, and after that see if x is inside the interval between 0 and pi.

Sir Beaver said:
However, there are more places on the unit circle in which
cos(y) = -1/2.

Yes, my question ultimately is

How does one determine these other places where cos(y) = -1/2 ?

If you are familiar with the unit circle, you have that the x-coordinate on the circle
is cos(x), while the y-coordinate is sin(x). For a picture, please see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_circle
In the picture, you can see that cos(x) = -1/2 means: at which place at the unit circle
is the x-coordinate equal to -1/2? And there are two places that can happen at in the circle. Does this help?

jasper10 said:
How does one determine these other places where cos(y) = -1/2 ?

Well, wouldn't you just have to add pi/4 for the next zero and then 3pi/4 and keep going until you're beyond your range in this case? Since the function is pretty much a squashed together cos curve (twice as many zeros as a normal one) that is half it's amplitude up the y-axis, it's amplitude being 2, that is out of phase of your standard cos curve by pi/3. I'm not sure I'm visualising it right, but I guess you could always sketch it up on some spare sheet.

Correction: cos(y) = -1/2 for y = 2pi/3 or for y = 4pi/3.
Replace y by 2x + pi/3 and you should get two values of x in (0, pi).

Last edited:
Char. Limit said:
Second, have you tried using the sum-of-angles formula to expand your cosine out? It might make it easier, I think...
It actually makes it much harder.

Mark44 said:
It actually makes it much harder.

I stand corrected then.

Mark44 said:
cos(y) = -1/2 for y = 4pi/3 or for y = 5pi/3.

How do you know this?

Mark gave you the values where the cosine is -1/2 in the third quadrant and 1/2 in the fourth quadrant. You're interested in the values where cosine is -1/2, not 1/2.

The first thing you should do is draw a unit circle. Then sketch the places where the cosine is equal to -1/2 and find the appropriate angles. In which two quadrants does your solution lay?

Cyosis said:
The first thing you should do is draw a unit circle. Then sketch the places where the cosine is equal to -1/2 and find the appropriate angles. In which two quadrants does your solution lay?

How does one find the place where cosine is equal to -1/2?

and as you said, the solution is in the third quadrant and the first solution (Pi/6) is in the first.

Cyosis said:
Mark gave you the values where the cosine is -1/2 in the third quadrant and 1/2 in the fourth quadrant. You're interested in the values where cosine is -1/2, not 1/2.
Due to a mental lapse, one of the values I gave was incorrect. The values of y should have been in the second and third quadrants, but not in the fourth. I have corrected my earlier response.
Cyosis said:

No, [itex] \cos \pi/6=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{3}[/itex]. Secondly I am not asking you to draw the position where cos is -1/2 in the unit circle exactly. The use in the unit circle is that you can see in which quadrant the solutions lay. When you draw a line radially outwards from the origin you can form a triangle. Which side of that triangle corresponds to the cosine and which one to the sine? To answer your question you want to know where that side of the triangle is -1/2.

jasper10 said:
How does one find the place where cosine is equal to -1/2?
There are just a handful of angles that you are expected to know exactly: 0, pi/6, pi/4, pi/3, pi/2, plus their complements and supplements. If you plot these angles in the unit circle, you can use symmetry to show that cos(y) = 1/2 for y = pi/3 and y = 5pi/3, and that cos(y) = -1/2 for y = 2pi/3 or y = 4pi/3.
jasper10 said:
and as you said, the solution is in the third quadrant and the first solution (Pi/6) is in the first.

Ok! thanks, i kind of get it now!

What is the equation being solved?

The equation being solved is 1 + 2cos(2x+ π/3) = 0.

Why is the equation set equal to zero?

The equation is set equal to zero because we are trying to find the values of x that make the equation true. These values are known as the zeroes of the equation.

What is the first step in solving this equation?

The first step is to isolate the cosine term by subtracting 1 from both sides of the equation, leaving us with 2cos(2x+ π/3) = -1.

Why do we divide by 2 next?

We divide by 2 to isolate the cosine function and get it in the form cos(θ) = a, where θ is the angle and a is a constant. This will make it easier to solve for the angle using inverse cosine.

What are the final steps in solving the equation?

The final steps are to use inverse cosine to find the angle, simplify the angle using trigonometric identities, and then solve for x. The solution will include two values for x, known as the zeroes of the equation.