What are the coordinates of point B?

In summary, The midpoint of a line segment with coordinates (2,6) and (x,y) is (0,0). This means that point B must be located in Quadrant IV.
xowe
Erm, I have another problem. This question confused me, I'm not sure how to do it. Help would be apprecaited. Thanks
The midpoint of line QS is the origin. Point Q is located in Quadrant II. What quadrant contains point S?
Same with this one.
M(5,12) is the midpoint of line AB. The coordinates of point A are (2,6). What are the coordinates of point B?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture. Take a point Q in the second quadrant, and draw a line from Q to the origin. Into which quadrant can you extend the line (so that it is still straight)? Now, which quadrant must S lie in?

Quadrent 4 I think. Ok, I think I get it. Thanks

In general, the midpoint of the line segment from (x0,y0) to (x1,y1) is the "average" of the two: ((x0+x1)/2, (y0+y1)/2).

In this case you are told that the midpoint of the line segment from A:(2,6) to the point B (call its coordinates (x,y)) is (0,0). That is (2+ x)/2= 0 and (6+y)/2= 0. It should be easy to see that B is (-2, -6).

1. What do coordinates represent in mathematics?

Coordinates are a set of numbers used to locate a point or object in a given space. They are typically represented by an ordered pair or triple, with each number representing a distance along a specific axis.

2. What is the difference between Cartesian and polar coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates, also known as rectangular coordinates, use two numbers to represent a point's location on a plane, with the first number representing the distance along the x-axis and the second number representing the distance along the y-axis. Polar coordinates, on the other hand, use a distance and an angle from a fixed point to represent a point's location on a plane.

3. How do you find the coordinates of a point on a graph?

To find the coordinates of a point on a graph, you must first identify the point's location on the x and y axes. The x-coordinate is the distance from the y-axis, and the y-coordinate is the distance from the x-axis. Once you have these two values, you can write them as an ordered pair to represent the point's coordinates.

4. Can a point have more than two coordinates?

In mathematics, a point is defined as a location in space with no dimensions. Therefore, a point can only have two coordinates in the Cartesian coordinate system, as it represents a location on a two-dimensional plane. However, in other coordinate systems, such as polar coordinates, a point may have more than two coordinates.

5. How do you determine the coordinates of a point on a three-dimensional graph?

In a three-dimensional graph, each point is represented by an ordered triple, with the first number representing the distance along the x-axis, the second number representing the distance along the y-axis, and the third number representing the distance along the z-axis. To determine the coordinates of a point on a three-dimensional graph, you must identify its location on each of these three axes.