Ecliptic Longitude Measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using a sundial to measure the ecliptic longitude, an astronomical variable. The proposed method involves using a vertical flag pole on the equator and observing when the shadow point crosses a "coordinate circle." It is suggested that the ecliptic longitude can be determined by measuring the azimuth of the sun at this point. The conversation also delves into the mathematics involved in measuring the elliptic longitude and notes the relevance of the Greenwich Meridian in this measurement. The speaker believes this method to be a simple and potentially groundbreaking discovery.
Helios
I have an idea how to measure the ecliptic longitude with a sundial type device. Ecliptic longitude is a astronomical variable so I chose this forum.

Suppose we have a verticle flag pole poised on the equator of the Earth.
A "coordinate circle" is drawn that surrounds the flag pole, radius = ( flag pole height )*tan( e ), e = 23.4393° = tilt of Earth.
So when the shadow point crosses the coordinate circle, the altitude of the Sun is 66.5607°.

Now with some doodling, I have a conjecture to offer.

When the shadow point crosses the coordinate circle, the ecliptic longitude will equal the azimuth of the Sun measured from due east as 0° and positve going counter-clockwise. Take care to note that due east azimuth for the Sun is due west for the shadow point.
It is obvious that the shadow point usually crosses the circle twice in a day, so it is assumed that the observer knows to use the reading closest to 24 hours from the previous one.

Is this correct? Is what that is being measured the ecliptic longitude?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The elliptical longitude of the Earth is measured at the extremes distances:

max = a*(1+e)
min = a*(1-e)

a - Semi-Major Axis
e - Eccentricity

The elliptic longitude is measured by three factors:

eclLong = N + w + t

where:

N - Longitude of the Ascending Node
w - Argument of the Periapsis
t - True Anomaly

Philosophaie, not that what you say isn't true, but it's not relevant. The task is to prove that one can measure elliptic longitude with a verticle pole on the equator just as I describe.

I think this sundial is remarkable and so simple. Yet I don't think it has ever been discovered before. That's why I wish someones would look into it and verify my math.

On the Greenwich Meridian the Azimuth is equal to the Ecliptic Longitude which makes ludicris because the azimuth is North-South and the ecl Long is along 23.4393deg from the equator and the equinox point.

The azimuth must be close to 90deg because the pole can only be so high making the ecl Long approximately equal to 90deg minus the radius of pole location.

The altitude of the sun casts a shadow when close to the eastern hemisphere 2X a day.

The measured ecliptical longitude will be somewhere a close to 90deg witha negative ecliptic lonitude when it travels from the outer part of the circle to the center on the equator.

I appreciate your creativity and ingenuity in coming up with a method to measure the ecliptic longitude using a sundial type device. However, I must caution that this method may not be entirely accurate and may require further testing and refinement before it can be considered a reliable measurement tool.

The ecliptic longitude is a measure of the position of an object along the ecliptic, which is the apparent path of the Sun on the celestial sphere. While your method does take into account the tilt of the Earth and the position of the flag pole, it may not accurately account for the curvature of the ecliptic and the varying angles of the Sun's path throughout the year. Additionally, the shadow point crossing the coordinate circle twice in a day could also introduce potential errors in the measurement.

To truly measure the ecliptic longitude, a more precise and sophisticated instrument would be needed, such as a telescope or a specialized equatorial mount. These devices are designed specifically for astronomical observations and can provide more accurate measurements of celestial objects and their positions.

In conclusion, while your idea is intriguing, it may not be entirely accurate in measuring the ecliptic longitude. I encourage you to continue exploring and experimenting with different methods, but also to consult with experts in the field to ensure the validity and accuracy of your measurements.

What is Ecliptic Longitude Measurement?

Ecliptic Longitude Measurement is a scientific method used to measure the angular distance of a celestial object from the ecliptic, which is the apparent path of the Sun on the celestial sphere. It is typically measured in degrees, with 360 degrees representing a full circle around the celestial sphere.

How is Ecliptic Longitude Measurement different from other celestial measurements?

Ecliptic Longitude Measurement is specifically used to measure the position of a celestial object along the ecliptic, whereas other measurements such as Right Ascension and Declination are used to measure the position of objects in relation to the celestial equator. Ecliptic Longitude Measurement is also unique because it takes into account the Earth's orbit around the Sun, while other measurements do not.

Why is Ecliptic Longitude Measurement important in astronomy?

Ecliptic Longitude Measurement is important in astronomy because it helps astronomers determine the location and movement of celestial objects, such as planets, comets, and asteroids. It also allows for the accurate prediction of celestial events, such as eclipses, and helps in the development of astronomical models and theories.

How is Ecliptic Longitude Measurement calculated?

Ecliptic Longitude Measurement is calculated using a coordinate system called the ecliptic coordinate system, which is based on the Earth's orbit around the Sun. The ecliptic is divided into 360 degrees, with 0 degrees starting at the vernal equinox (the point where the ecliptic intersects with the celestial equator). Astronomers use specialized instruments or computer programs to measure the angular distance of a celestial object from the vernal equinox, and this distance is then converted into a specific ecliptic longitude measurement.

How does Ecliptic Longitude Measurement relate to astrology?

In astrology, Ecliptic Longitude Measurement is used to determine the position of celestial objects in relation to the Earth at the time of a person's birth. This measurement is believed to have an influence on individual traits and characteristics according to astrological beliefs. However, it is important to note that Ecliptic Longitude Measurement is based on scientific principles and should not be considered a reliable source for predicting personal traits or future events.