How Do You Convert Plane Speed from km/h to m/s?

• Thread starter Blaz3r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, to convert from km/h to m/s, you need to use factors of 1 such as 1 km/1000 m and 1 h/3600 s. By multiplying these factors, you can cancel out the unwanted units and end up with the desired unit of m/s. In this case, the velocity of the plane is approximately 185.19 m/s.
Blaz3r

Homework Statement

If a plane can travel 2.00 x 10^3 km in 3.00 hours, what is its velocity in m/s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

V =
d = 2.00 x 10^3 km
t = 3.00h

V = 2.00 x 10^3 km / 3.00h

V = 2000km / 3.00h

V = 666.67km/h

666.67 kilometers = 666 670 meters - 666.67 hours = 2 400 012 seconds
I'm not sure what to do at this step changing it to m/s

V = ?m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
When you are converting between different units remember that you can always multiply by factors of 1. E.g.

[tex]\frac{1 min}{60 s}=1[/tex]

If you pick your factors of 1 correctly you can get the units you don't want to cancel out and just leave the units you do want. E.g.

[tex]120 s = 120 s \; 1 = 120 s \frac{1 min}{60 s} = 2 min[/tex]

Notice how the s on top in the original units cancels out the s on bottom from the factor of 1, leaving only min from the factor of 1.

DaleSpam said:
When you are converting between different units remember that you can always multiply by factors of 1. E.g.

[tex]\frac{1 min}{60 s}=1[/tex]

If you pick your factors of 1 correctly you can get the units you don't want to cancel out and just leave the units you do want. E.g.

[tex]120 s = 120 s \; 1 = 120 s \frac{1 min}{60 s} = 2 min[/tex]

Notice how the s on top in the original units cancels out the s on bottom from the factor of 1, leaving only min from the factor of 1.

I still don't understand.Are you converting into minutes? I converted into minutes which is 160minutes, do I take my m/160minutes to get my final answer of m/s?

You have km/h and you want m/s so you need a factor which gives you m on top and cancels out the km, and you need another factor which gives you s on top and cancels out the h. Can you figure out what those factors are?

To convert from kilometers per hour to meters per second, we need to use the conversion factor of 1 km = 1000 m and 1 hour = 3600 seconds. This gives us:

V = 666.67 km/h x (1000 m/1 km) x (1 h/3600 s)

V = 666.67 x (1000/1) x (1/3600) m/s

V = 666.67 x (1000/3600) m/s

V = 666.67 x 0.2778 m/s

V = 185.1856 m/s

Therefore, the velocity of the plane is 185.1856 m/s.

1. What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics is used in many areas of our daily lives, such as in technology development, engineering, medicine, and even sports. Some specific examples include designing and building bridges and buildings, developing new medical treatments and equipment, and understanding the laws of motion in sports like baseball and tennis.

2. How can I apply physics concepts to solve word problems?

To solve physics word problems, it is important to first understand the basic concepts and equations related to the problem. Then, carefully read and analyze the given information, identify what is known and what is unknown, and use the appropriate formula to solve for the unknown variable. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or use charts and tables to organize the information.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics word problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics word problems include using the wrong formula, not converting units properly, and not paying attention to significant figures. It is also important to double-check your calculations and make sure they are accurate.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and actively engage in the learning process. This can include practicing with different types of problems, seeking help and clarification when needed, and reviewing and understanding your mistakes to avoid them in the future.

5. What are some resources for additional help in understanding "Physics 20 - Word Problems"?

There are many resources available for additional help in understanding physics word problems. These can include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and seeking help from teachers or tutors. It may also be helpful to form a study group with classmates to discuss and solve problems together.