Sketching a parallelogram question

In summary, the problem asks to sketch a parallelogram in the xy-plane spanned by two vectors <2,1,0> and <-3,1,0>. The area has already been computed, so assistance is needed with the sketch. The request is for a quick explanation on how to sketch vectors in a 3D environment in the xy-plane. It is clarified that the sketch should only be in the xy-plane. The final question asks about the planes the two given points lie in and the plane the line connecting them must lie in.
stau40

Homework Statement

Sketch the parallelogram spanned by <2,1,0> and <-3,1,0> in the xy-plane, and compute its area.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already computed the area, so I don't need help with that part. I do need help sketching the parallelogram though. I can't figure out how to sketch vectors in the 3D environment like it asks for. Can anyone provide a quick walk-thru as to how it's done? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears to ask for a sketch in the xy-plane, i.e. not in 3 dimensions

How do I sketch three points <x,y,z> in an xy plane?

What plane does the first point lie in? What plane does the second point lie in?

Thus, what plane must the line connecting these two point lie in?

1. How do you sketch a parallelogram?

To sketch a parallelogram, you will need to follow these steps:

• Start by drawing two parallel lines, which will serve as the sides of your parallelogram.
  • Next, draw two more lines connecting the ends of the parallel lines. These lines should be slanted and of equal length.
  • Make sure that the angles formed by the intersecting lines are equal.
  • You should now have a shape with two sets of parallel lines and four equal angles - this is a parallelogram.

2. What are the properties of a parallelogram?

A parallelogram has four sides, with opposite sides being parallel and equal in length. It also has four angles, with opposite angles being equal. Additionally, the diagonals of a parallelogram bisect each other and each diagonal divides the parallelogram into two congruent triangles.

3. How do you find the area of a parallelogram?

To find the area of a parallelogram, you can use the formula A = base x height. The base is one of the parallelogram's sides, and the height is the perpendicular distance between the base and its opposite side. You can also use the formula A = ½ x base x height, where base and height are the lengths of two adjacent sides.

4. Can a parallelogram have right angles?

Yes, a parallelogram can have right angles. In fact, a parallelogram with four right angles is a special type of parallelogram called a rectangle. However, not all parallelograms have right angles.

5. What is the difference between a parallelogram and a rectangle?

A rectangle is a type of parallelogram with four right angles. This means that all rectangles are parallelograms, but not all parallelograms are rectangles. Additionally, the opposite sides of a rectangle are equal in length, whereas in a parallelogram, all sides are equal in length.