Basic issue for graphene sheet

• Thread starter Yopajoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphene
In summary: Therefore, in summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between quantum mechanics and graphene sheet, specifically in regards to the Klein tunneling phenomenon. The conversation also delves into the mathematical theory behind this relationship and the use of Bloch functions to describe the behavior of electrons in graphene. The conversation also raises questions about the accuracy of certain assumptions and calculations in this model.
Yopajoe
Hello ,

Maybe this topic has basic understandings of quantum mechanics and involves some mathematic theory that I haven’t learned yet, but it’s related on graphene sheet and Klein tunneling .

Consider that our observation is so much larger in scale then sub-lattice constant [tex] a_0 \sqrt{3}[/tex] , where [tex]a_0[/tex] is distance between two adjacent atoms , which form two different sub-lattice A and B. Bloch function for each sub-lattice A , B by tight binding model is [https://wiki.physics.udel.edu/phys824/Band_structure_of_graphene,_massless_Dirac_fermions_as_low-energy_quasiparticles,_Berry_phase,_and_all_that" ] : [tex] \phi_{A} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum \exp{i{\mathbf kR}} \varphi_{2pz} ( {\mathbf r} - { \mathbf R_n} )\\\ , \phi_{B} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum \exp{ik({\mathbf R}+{\mathbf \tau})} \varphi_{2pz} ({\mathbf r} -{ \mathbf R_n}-{\mathbf \tau} )[/tex]

where [tex] \varphi_{2pz} [/tex] is eigenfunction 2pz orbital, and sum goes in term of all atoms in sub-lattice (n = 1…N ) , and N is number of atoms . [tex]{\mathbf \tau}[/tex] is shift between two sub-lattice and its amount obviously is [tex]a_0[/tex].

(1)As mentioned before because of our point of view , we could regard [tex]\phi_A[/tex] and [tex]\phi_B[/tex] as plane wave function exp ( ikr ) . Is this right ? Or I don’t understand it well. Do [tex]\phi_A[/tex] and [tex]\phi_B[/tex] have some phase shift ?

(2) If (1) is true , there is general solution for electron in graphene

[tex]\Phi = C_A\phi_A+ C_B\phi_B = (C_A+C_B)\exp(i{\mathbf kr})[/tex]

Is above true ? Now can we can say that [tex]\Phi[/tex] is eigenvector of basis function [tex]\phi_A[/tex] and [tex]\phi_B[/tex] ?

Assume [tex]\phi_A[/tex] and [tex]\phi_B[/tex] are known as :

[tex]C_A=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \exp (i\frac{\theta(k)}{2}) \ ,\ C_B= \pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \exp (-i\frac{\theta(k)}{2})[/tex]​

At site around K point in the first Brilluein zone with approximation near Dirac point , we suppose [ http://www.sciencetimes.com.cn/upload/blog/file/2009/8/200987222258483302.pdf -- or go to http://arxiv.org/abs/0709.1163 and download pdf -- Eq(9) page 5]:

[tex]\theta= - \arctan \frac{q_y}{q_x}[/tex]​

Where [tex]q_y,q_x[/tex] are displacements in relation K. In conduction band taking for [tex]q_y=0[/tex] , [tex] \Phi[/tex] is obtained zero . What is wrong?

Any directions and clarifications would be welcome, also put any related links and sorry for grammar mistakes .

Thanks in advance for taking time to help me; I really appreciate your effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\phi_A, \phi_B[/tex] constitute the two component of the Graphene spinor, can not simply added as scalar wave. they are isospin state.
Wavefunction is determined by the tight-binding Hamiltonian (5)[http://arxiv.org/abs/0709.1163] .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is graphene?

Graphene is a thin layer of pure carbon arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is the basic building block for graphite, but unlike graphite, it is a highly conductive material with unique mechanical, electrical, and optical properties.

2. How is graphene made?

Graphene can be produced through several methods, including mechanical exfoliation, chemical vapor deposition, and epitaxial growth. The most common method is mechanical exfoliation, where layers of graphene are peeled off from graphite using adhesive tape.

3. What are the potential applications of graphene?

Graphene has potential applications in various fields, including electronics, energy storage, biotechnology, and aerospace. It can be used to make faster and more efficient electronic devices, stronger and lighter materials for construction and transportation, and biosensors for medical diagnostics.

4. What are the challenges in using graphene?

One of the major challenges in using graphene is its production on a large scale. The current methods for producing graphene are time-consuming and expensive. Another challenge is controlling the properties of graphene, as small changes in its structure can greatly affect its properties.

5. What are the potential health and environmental impacts of graphene?

There is still ongoing research on the potential health and environmental impacts of graphene. Some studies have shown that certain forms of graphene may have toxic effects on living organisms, while others have suggested that it may have potential as a biocompatible material. More research is needed to fully understand the health and environmental impacts of graphene.