New goldilocks planet and if there is water on it?

In summary, scientists have discovered a new potentially habitable planet, dubbed the "goldilocks planet," that is similar in size and distance from its star to Earth. While it is still unknown whether there is water on this planet, its location within the habitable zone of its star raises the possibility of liquid water and the potential for life. Further research and exploration are needed to confirm the presence of water and investigate the potential for life on this exciting new world.
mat1101
Is there any new on the new goldilocks planet and if there is water on it?
also what website is good for following this data

Astronomy news on Phys.org

mat1101 said:
Is there any new on the new goldilocks planet and if there is water on it?
also what website is good for following this data

Last I heard, another group (analyzing an even larger body of wobble data) was unable to confirm.
So it is not clear that there is such a planet. The 36-day wobble they thought they saw could have been spurious (noise).

====================

I am just responding based on what I remember reading sometime in the past month or so. I think you are talking about a planet around Gliese 581. We could google "Gliese 581 g" an see if there is any recent news.

I googled and found this Wippy article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_581_g

It has been kept up to date. It tells how the other group failed to confirm the existence of Gliese 581 g.

It also explains the latest thinking about temperature and atmosphere---how, if the planet exists, and has the estimated mass and distance from its star, it might be able to support living organisms.

======================

Gliese 581 has 4 confirmed planets: b, c, d, e.

And 2 (so far) unconfirmed planets: f, g.

Last edited:

ok thanks!

I think that so called goldilocks planet is not very promising.

How can they say, for instance, that it is tidally locked and yet a good candidate for life? Nonsense. Any tidally locked planet is a hopeless cause for complex life - the atmosphere would be almost nonexistent.

http://exoplanet.eu/" is an excellent resource for all aspects of this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a "New goldilocks planet"?

A "New goldilocks planet" refers to a planet that has similar characteristics to Earth, making it potentially habitable for life. It is named after the fairytale character Goldilocks, who famously found the "just right" porridge, chair, and bed.

2. How do scientists determine if a planet is in the "goldilocks zone"?

Scientists determine if a planet is in the "goldilocks zone" by analyzing its distance from its star and the star's temperature. The "goldilocks zone" refers to the area around a star where a planet is neither too hot nor too cold to support liquid water, making it potentially habitable for life.

3. Why is the presence of water important for potential life on a planet?

Water is essential for all known forms of life on Earth. It is a universal solvent, meaning it can dissolve many different substances, making it crucial for biochemical reactions. Water also helps regulate temperatures and provides a medium for organisms to move and obtain nutrients.

4. How do scientists search for water on other planets?

Scientists search for water on other planets using various methods, such as spectroscopy, which can detect the presence of water molecules based on the wavelengths of light they absorb. They also look for evidence of past water, such as dried-up riverbeds or polar ice caps.

5. What would the discovery of water on a "New goldilocks planet" mean for the search for extraterrestrial life?

The discovery of water on a "New goldilocks planet" would be a significant breakthrough in the search for extraterrestrial life. Water is a key ingredient for life as we know it, so its presence would increase the chances of finding other forms of life in the universe. It could also provide valuable information about the potential habitability of the planet and the conditions necessary for life to exist.