Scale Readings in Accelerating Elevators: Calculations and Analysis

• Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
In summary, a 910 N man standing on a scale in an elevator that is accelerating downward at 1.5 m/s^2 will have a reading on the scale of 910 N. However, if the elevator is accelerating downward with maximum acceleration, the scale will read 0 N because the person and the scale will be in free-fall, experiencing no contact force. The maximum acceleration of the elevator would be 9.8 m/s^2, as it is accelerated by gravity.
Soaring Crane
A 910 N man stands on a scale in an elevator that is accelerating downward 1.5 m/s^2. What does the scale read in N? If the elevator moves down with max. acceleration, what will the scale read?

I started to do this:

F = ma
910 N = m(9.8 m/s^2)
m = 92.86 kg

mg - F_s = ma
910 N - F_s = 92.86 kg*(-1.5 m/s^2)
F_s = 139.29 N + 910 N = 1049.29 N

But if the acc. is downward, wouldn't the scale have a reading that is < 910?

I also don't understand the second part. What is the maximum acc.?

Please correct me on my mistakes and help me on the second part. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The scale should have a reading of less than 910N.

Weight of person - Resultant Contact Force = mass of person x acceleration of lift.

I don't know what maximum acceleration is. Perhaps they are asking you to find the person's scale reading in the lift in free fall. Try using the formula I gave above.

You need to remember that your formula must reduce to what you know when the acceleration of the lift is zero.
That is, the force on the scales will be mg (when a=0). Also don't forget that this force is directed downwards (in the direction of the acceleration of the elevator).

I believe the formula you need is

[tex]F_s = m(g-a)[/tex]

Using this you should get something like 770N

I think what I gave you was exactly the same as what recon gave...
sorry.

Soaring Crane said:
mg - F_s = ma
910 N - F_s = 92.86 kg*(-1.5 m/s^2)
F_s = 139.29 N + 910 N = 1049.29 N

But if the acc. is downward, wouldn't the scale have a reading that is < 910?

I also don't understand the second part. What is the maximum acc.?

Please correct me on my mistakes and help me on the second part. Thanks.

That was good to realize your answer couldn't be right. If you can visulize the problem, common sense catches lots of mistakes.

The mistake in your calculation is the direction gravity is pulling the object. The gravitational force is -910 N (down), the same direction that the elevator is accelerating.

Unless the elevator has a motor to push it downward, the maximum acceleration would be 9.8 m/s^2 since the elevator will be accelerated by gravity. (My brother-in-law took a job as a coal miner and the initiation for his first day on the job was for his new 'buddies' to turn the lights off in the elevator right before it went into free-fall down the shaft. In my brother-in-law's case, his first day was also his last. He decided to take a job as a prison guard, instead - it paid less, but you didn't have to buy new underwear so often.)

1. What is the purpose of calculating scale readings in accelerating elevators?

The purpose of calculating scale readings in accelerating elevators is to determine the apparent weight of an object or person in the elevator. This is important because as an elevator accelerates, the force acting on the object or person changes, causing a change in their apparent weight. By calculating scale readings, we can understand how the force of acceleration affects the weight of objects within the elevator.

2. How are scale readings in accelerating elevators calculated?

Scale readings in accelerating elevators are calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the elevator. This formula can be used to calculate the apparent weight of an object at different points of acceleration. Additionally, the scale readings can be compared to the actual weight of the object to determine the magnitude of the force acting on it.

3. What factors influence the scale readings in accelerating elevators?

The scale readings in accelerating elevators are influenced by the mass of the object, the acceleration of the elevator, and the force of gravity. As the elevator accelerates, the force acting on the object changes, causing a change in its apparent weight. The mass of the object also affects the scale reading, as objects with greater mass will experience a greater force of acceleration. Lastly, the force of gravity also plays a role in determining the scale readings in accelerating elevators.

4. How can the analysis of scale readings in accelerating elevators be useful?

The analysis of scale readings in accelerating elevators can be useful in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and safety. Understanding how the force of acceleration affects the apparent weight of objects can help engineers design elevators that can safely transport passengers and objects. In physics, this analysis can help explain concepts such as Newton's Second Law of Motion. Additionally, analyzing scale readings can also help ensure the safety of elevator passengers by ensuring that the elevator is not overloading or experiencing any technical issues.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating and analyzing scale readings in accelerating elevators?

Yes, there are some limitations to calculating and analyzing scale readings in accelerating elevators. One limitation is that the calculations assume that the elevator is in a vacuum, which is not the case in real-life situations. Additionally, the calculations do not take into account other external forces, such as air resistance, which may affect the scale readings. Lastly, the accuracy of the scale readings may also be affected by the precision of the equipment used to measure the weight and acceleration of the elevator.