How Does Optical Activity Help Measure Sugar Concentration?

In summary, the Law of Malus states that the intensity of light transmitted through a polarizer is proportional to the cosine of the angle at which the polarizer is placed with the light source. This law can be used to calculate the intensity of light that will pass through a polarizer if a particular sample is placed between the polarizer and the light source.
chadders8903

Homework Statement

The sugar concentration in a solution (e.g., in a urine specimen) can be measured conveniently by using the optical activity of sugar and other asymmetric molecules. In general, an optically active molecule, like sugar, will rotate the plane of polarization through an angle that is proportional to the thickness of the sample and to the concentration of the molecule. To measure the concentration of a given solution, a sample of known thickness is placed between two polarizing filters that are at right angles to each other, as shown in the figure . The intensity of light transmitted through the two filters can be compared with a calibration chart to determine the concentration.

25-30.gif

(a) What percentage of the incident (unpolarized) light will pass through the first filter?

(b) If no sample is present, what percentage of the initial light will pass through the second filter?

(c) When a particular sample is placed between the two filters, the intersity of light emerging from the second filter is 46.0% of the incident intensity. Through what angle did the sample rotate the plane of polarization?

(d) A second sample has half the sugar concentration of the first sample. What percentage of the initial light passes through the second filter in this case?

Homework Equations

Law of Malus
I= Io cos2 (theta)
and for unpolarized light going through the first polarizer
I=.5Io

The Attempt at a Solution

The first three problems are easy and I have gotten them correct. It is d that is giving me problems.

a. I=.5Io
so I= 50%

b. Law of Malus
I= Io cos2 (theta)
theta is 90 and cos2 90 = 0
0%

c. This one is the Law of Malus but drawn out over a few steps. And you have to do either arccos of the answer and then subtract it from 90 because it gives you the answer of the wrong angle and you need the other one or you can just do arcsin.

so:
Law of Malus
I= Io cos2 (theta)
.46= .5 cos2 (theta)
.92= cos2 (theta)
sqroot (.92) = cos (theta)
.959 = cos (theta)
arccos .959 = theta
theta = 16.43
but this is the opposite angle, so
90 - 16.43 = 73.6

d.
Now for the one that I do not understand and that I keep getting wrong. And my book states that a solution containing optically active molecules that are placed between crossed polarizers, the amount of light that passes through the system gives a direct measure of the concentration of the active molecules in the solution. I do not understand how it gives the direct measure of concentration, but I will attempt a solution for this.

First I don't know how changing the concentration will affect it. Which variable is changed?

I think that it will change the 46% to 23%. So that means that

Law of Malus
I= Io cos2 (theta)
.23= .5 cos2 (theta)
.46 =cos2 (theta)
sqroot .46 = cos (theta)
.678 = cos (theta)
arccos .678 = theta
47.3 = theta
And again, wrong angle so minus it from 90
90 -47.3 = 42.7

then we multiply them all together for each intensity

.5 * cos2 (42.7) * cos2 (90-42.7) = 12.4 %.
This is off by more than 10%. I know the range of the value is between like 14% to 20%. Can someone give me a hint? I have three of the four parts correct but this last one is giving me problems.

Attachments

• 25-30.gif
    25-30.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 953
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out. changing the concentration by half changes the angle by half. So using the law of Malus I do:
I2= ½(I0)cos2((90- (answer to part c/2)
Solving that gives me the right answer.

Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

Glad it worked out.

As a welcoming gift, here is a copy-and-pastable θ for you.

1. What is optical activity of sugar?

The optical activity of sugar refers to the ability of certain types of sugar molecules to rotate the plane of polarized light. This is due to the asymmetric nature of these molecules, which causes them to interact with light in a unique way.

2. How does optical activity of sugar work?

When polarized light passes through a solution of optically active sugar, the light is rotated in a specific direction. This rotation is caused by the sugar molecules interacting with the electric field of the light. The amount of rotation is dependent on the concentration of sugar and the length of the light path through the solution.

3. What types of sugars exhibit optical activity?

Most commonly, carbohydrates such as glucose, fructose, and sucrose exhibit optical activity due to their asymmetric structures. However, other types of molecules, such as certain amino acids and proteins, can also exhibit optical activity.

4. How is optical activity of sugar measured?

The optical activity of sugar can be measured using a polarimeter, which measures the angle of rotation of polarized light passing through a sample of the sugar solution. This measurement can then be used to calculate the concentration of the sugar in the solution.

5. What are the practical applications of optical activity of sugar?

The optical activity of sugar is often used in the food industry to determine the purity and concentration of sugars in various products. It is also used in the pharmaceutical industry to analyze the composition of drugs. Additionally, the study of optical activity of sugar can provide insight into the structure and behavior of complex molecules in biological systems.