SR, electromagnetic waves in moving reference frames.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expression for electromagnetic wave propagation in a moving reference frame and the difference between Galilean and Lorentz transformations. The solution for the equation in a moving reference frame implies that there is no preferential reference frame.
Lavabug

Homework Statement

Not really a homework/coursework problem, I'm just trying to make sense of some class notes from our chapter on special relativity. I'm trying to find the expression for electromagnetic wave propagation in a reference frame S' that is moving at a constant velocity with respect to an inertial reference frame S.
[PLAIN]http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4058/p1000897f.jpg
Where capital phi is either the B or E vector (see relevant equations).

Homework Equations

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/4/5/a/45adde5635abaf78b4b9174bf210f504.png[/URL]
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/d/a/4/da48cd00768a325141e38f519b4ca55e.png[/URL]
or more generally:
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/6/7/0/670fa614a400a15236d39ece735e6f14.png[/URL]

Just need to find the 2nd order partials with respect to x, y, z for the Laplacian and the 2nd order partial with respect to t.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no trouble finding the first order partial derivatives of phi with respect to all 4 variables (note the red checkmark), nor the 2nd order partial derivatives with respect to x, y and z. But I don't know what happened with the 2nd derivative with respect to time, I don't know where the two middle terms came from. (see arrows)

2nd question: What does the solution imply? I didn't understand/am missing the bit of theory that came afterwards (I'm not studying in my native language and my lecturer speaks blazingly fast lol), supposedly the solution for this equation in a moving reference frame gives an answer of 0, which implies that their is no preferential reference frame.

Sorry for posing a question so convoluted but I'd appreciate any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The transformation you've written down there [tex] x^\prime = x - vt [/tex] is a Galilean transformation. The relativistic transformation is known as the Lorentz transformation.

I haven't looked over your maths in detail, but if my memory serves me right, the EM wave equation is not invariant under a Galilean transformation but it is under a Lorentz transformation. You've basically shown there that the Galilean transformation doesn't work for EM waves.

1. How do electromagnetic waves behave in a moving reference frame?

According to the theory of special relativity, electromagnetic waves behave the same way in all inertial reference frames. This means that the speed of light remains constant, and the wavelength and frequency of the waves are also unchanged.

2. Can the speed of light be different in different reference frames?

No, the speed of light is considered to be a universal constant and is the same in all inertial reference frames. This is one of the fundamental concepts of special relativity.

3. How does the Doppler effect affect electromagnetic waves in a moving reference frame?

The Doppler effect does not affect the speed of light, but it does affect the frequency and wavelength of electromagnetic waves. In a moving reference frame, the observed frequency and wavelength of the waves may be different due to the relative motion of the source and observer.

4. Can the direction of an electromagnetic wave change when observed in a moving reference frame?

Yes, the direction of an electromagnetic wave can appear to change when observed in a moving reference frame. This is due to the relative motion of the observer and the source of the waves, which can cause a shift in the direction of the waves.

5. How does the Lorentz transformation explain electromagnetic waves in a moving reference frame?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula used to describe the relationship between measurements made in different reference frames. It can be applied to electromagnetic waves in a moving reference frame to show how their properties, such as frequency and wavelength, are affected by the relative motion of the observer and the source.