Greatest Common Divisor in a strange extension ring.

In summary, to show that two elements in \textbf{Z}[\sqrt{-5}] have gcd = 1, we can use the norm function to prove that they are irreducible. By showing that both 3 and 2+\sqrt{-5} are irreducible, we can conclude that they are also prime elements and therefore have a gcd of 1.
tomtom690

Homework Statement

I need to show that two elements in [tex]\textbf{Z}[/tex][[tex]\sqrt{-5}[/tex]] have gcd = 1.
The elements are 3 and 2+[tex]\sqrt{-5}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My way of thinking was if I can show that both elements are irreducible, then they are both prime and hence have gcd of 1. I can show they are both irreducible, using the norm function - ie showing that if eg 3 = ab then either N(a) or N(b) is 1. This means that 3 is irreducible in this ring. I think.
Can somebody tell me if this is correct please? Like I said, I'm almost there, just need to polish it off!
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your approach is correct. To show that an element is irreducible in \textbf{Z}[\sqrt{-5}], we can use the norm function as you mentioned. For the element 3, we have N(3) = 9, and the only elements in \textbf{Z}[\sqrt{-5}] with norm 9 are 3 and -3. But neither of these can be written as a product of two non-units in \textbf{Z}[\sqrt{-5}], so 3 is irreducible. Similarly, for the element 2+\sqrt{-5}, we have N(2+\sqrt{-5}) = 9, and the only elements with norm 9 are 3 and -3. Since 2+\sqrt{-5} cannot be written as a product of two non-units in \textbf{Z}[\sqrt{-5}], it is also irreducible. Therefore, both 3 and 2+\sqrt{-5} are prime elements in \textbf{Z}[\sqrt{-5}], and their gcd is 1.

What is the Greatest Common Divisor (GCD) in a strange extension ring?

The GCD in a strange extension ring is the largest positive integer that can divide all elements in the ring without a remainder.

How is the GCD calculated in a strange extension ring?

The GCD in a strange extension ring is calculated using the Euclidean algorithm, which involves finding the remainder when dividing two elements in the ring and repeating the process until the remainder is 0. The last non-zero remainder is the GCD.

What are some properties of the GCD in a strange extension ring?

The GCD in a strange extension ring has the following properties:

• The GCD is always a positive integer.
  • The GCD of any element and 0 is the element itself.
  • The GCD of two elements is the same as the GCD of their absolute values.
  • If an element divides both elements, it will also divide their GCD.

Can the GCD in a strange extension ring be negative?

No, the GCD in a strange extension ring is always a positive integer. This is because the GCD is defined as the largest positive integer that can divide all elements in the ring without a remainder.

How is the GCD used in a strange extension ring?

The GCD in a strange extension ring is used to simplify fractions and find common factors between elements. It is also used in algorithms for solving equations and finding the inverse of an element in the ring.