Automated Launcher: Launching 4m & 50g Projectiles

In summary, the project requires a car capable of traveling a certain distance, stopping, and launching a projectile. The projectile must be shot sideways to the left and the car must have a stop mechanism.
Daruki
i'm trying to build a launcher that automatically launches after a period of time. it has to launch 4m and launches a projectile weighing no more than 50g. what kind of mechanisms would i need to use?
thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

There are boundless possibilities here. Can you give us more information on your requirements and your ideas?

Basically, it's mounted on a car. The car and the projectile together cannot be bigger than 40 cm by 30 cm by 25 cm approximately.
I don't really have an idea right now, but I've heard electronic fuses work. It has to have a high degree of accuracy.

OK, you need to give us more information:

Are you launching vertically or horizontally?
Are you launching a projectile from your car?
Is the car moving during the launch?
Do you have a "target"?
Can the project include IC engines, batteries, springs, compressed gasses, etc, etc?

You have utterly failed to define the problem in such a way that anyone can help you. If the object is simply to move a car 4M as precisely as possible, I would use a stepper motor with a uController. Similar "Science Competition Projects" define similar project goals, but with very narrow parameters for power source and control mechanisms.

Fish

Okay, here are more details.
I'm planning to design a car that travels to a destination, stops, and then launches the projectile sideways to the left relative to the car itself. The projectile launcher must use only gravitational and elastic energy, must activate after the car reaches its destination(give or take 10s) and must shoot straight, sideways to the left 4m.
No electronically designed mechanisms, except for the timer, but as of yet, I have no clue as to how to set one up.
There is a target, which is basically a target similar to the game "Darts", where the middle circle is the most accurate which also endows the highest mark.

If the car has some kind of stopping mechanism such as a wall or an arresting cable, as opposed to just coasting to the proper area, I would use that mechanism as the trigger for the launcher.

How about an hourglass? Or a water timer? Spring and flywheel? There are a lot of mechanical ways to do it, and many electrical ways to do it as well.

Hey I'm new to PF, so be gentle if my first few posts aren't gold.
Assuming the car stops on impact...
Have a spring or elastic that releases its stored energy upon impact of the car via quick-release mechanism. From this, you could calculate the stored potential energy and use that to determine the initial speed of your projectile. By altering angle of elevation and height you determine the optimal trajectory to launch the projectile 4m. Hopefully this is on the right track to a solution

1. What is an Automated Launcher?

An Automated Launcher is a machine that is designed to launch projectiles automatically without the need for manual operation. It is typically used in scientific experiments to launch projectiles with precision and consistency.

2. How does the Automated Launcher work?

The Automated Launcher works by using a motor or other power source to create a force that propels the projectile forward. It also has a mechanism that holds and releases the projectile at the desired angle and force.

3. What types of projectiles can be launched with the Automated Launcher?

The Automated Launcher can launch a variety of projectiles, such as balls, small rockets, or other objects that weigh 4m and 50g. The exact specifications may vary depending on the specific model of the launcher.

4. What are the benefits of using an Automated Launcher?

There are several benefits to using an Automated Launcher in scientific experiments. It allows for precise and consistent launches, which is crucial for collecting accurate data. It also reduces the risk of human error and can save time and effort compared to manual launching methods.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using an Automated Launcher?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using an Automated Launcher. Always read the instructions carefully and wear protective gear, such as safety glasses. It is also important to use the launcher in a controlled environment and to keep it away from people and fragile objects.