Calculating Water Treatment Vessel Size for Condominiums

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation and formula for determining the size of a water filter vessel suitable for a condominium. The formula provided by a wastewater vessel supplier is water consumption rate divided by effective filtration area equals 50L/min/ft^2, where the diameter is found from the formula for area. It is mentioned that the term 50L/m/ft^2 is actually the linear velocity and there is confusion about how this number was derived. Other necessary information for calculating the suitable diameter of the vessel is also discussed. Additionally, the conversation touches on the importance of considering pressure constraints in the analysis.
mathsTKK
Recently, my boss asked me about the calculation or formula to calculate the size of water filter vessel ( bullet shape ) which is suitable for a condominium. I fail to find any formula from the Internet, so can someone help me to find the formula? Much appreciation.

From one of the wastewater vessel supplier, I got a formula which I do not understand. The formula is as below:

Water consumption rate/Effective filtration Area = 50L/min/ft^2 where the diameter is found from Area=(pi)r^2

I notice that the term 50L/m/ft^2 is actually the linear velocity as the term can be expressed as

50 V/t/A where V=Volume , t=Time and A=Area
as V/A = distance and distance/time= velocity, thus i think the term is actually linear velocity but I am not sure whether my assumption is correct. Can someone help me on that? Thank you^^

Another matter, how is this formula derived? and i still can't understand why 50? how is this number found?

What are the other information that are required to calculate the suitable diameter of the vessel? Flow rate? or other?

I hope someone can help me on this^^ Thank you for your kind assistance. Much appreciation to you all :) Thank you once again!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't measure pressure, or pressure drop across the filter.

If you force the same flow through a more narrow filter area, the pressure drop must increase. If the pressure drops too much, you need a bigger pump, or consumers may have too little pressure.

So I expect that you are missing something in your analysis. What are the pressure constraints before the filter and after the filter?

1. How do I determine the correct size for a water treatment vessel for a condominium?

The size of a water treatment vessel for a condominium can be determined by taking into account the number of units in the building, the average daily water usage per unit, and the flow rate of the water supply. A general rule of thumb is to have a vessel with a capacity of at least one gallon per unit.

2. What factors should be considered when calculating the vessel size?

The main factors to consider when calculating the vessel size for a condominium are the number of units, average daily water usage per unit, peak flow rate, and the type of water treatment system being used. It is also important to take into account any potential future growth or changes in water usage.

3. Is it better to oversize or undersize the water treatment vessel for a condominium?

It is generally recommended to oversize the water treatment vessel to ensure that it can handle peak water usage and allow for future growth. Undersized vessels may not adequately treat the water and could result in decreased efficiency and increased maintenance costs.

4. Can a water treatment vessel be retrofitted or replaced if it is too small?

In most cases, a water treatment vessel can be retrofitted or replaced if it is too small. However, this can be a costly and time-consuming process, so it is best to calculate the correct size from the beginning to avoid any potential issues.

5. Are there any regulations or codes that need to be followed when sizing a water treatment vessel for a condominium?

Yes, there may be regulations or codes that need to be followed when sizing a water treatment vessel for a condominium. It is important to consult with local authorities and adhere to any applicable codes or regulations to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the water treatment system.