Getting a job in a new venture company.

In summary, the individual is a mechanical engineering graduate with job experience and is now considering long term career goals. They are interested in working for a start-up company in the aeronautical or green energy industry. They are seeking advice on how to get in with a new venture company and whether pursuing more education would be beneficial. Suggestions include locating companies in desired industries, job shadowing, and working with a headhunter in areas with high numbers of start-ups. It is noted that having too much education may make one less attractive to start-up companies, but others argue that it can be a plus as long as it does not affect performance. It is mentioned that start-ups have a unique mentality and it is important to find a company culture that align
rm446
Hello, I'm a mechanical engineer graduate with a little over a year of real world job experience. This first job has been rather disappointing for me so I've been giving my long term career goals much more thought. I originally thought I'd want to get a Ph.D and perhaps do research but what turned me off to that was how far all the research was from turning into a new product or invention.

After some thinking I realized that actually creating a new innovation is what motivated me to be an engineer in the first place and so I want to make it my long term career goal to become an important part of a start up company or new venture, something in the aeronautical or green energy industry (preferably both, like airborne wind).

So my question is, does anyone have any advice on how to get in with a new venture company? Should I perhaps pursue more education (either in the form of a Ph.D or second M.S.) or would that be unnecessary? I currently don't live near any urban center but would be willing to move to one if I could get a good job like this (personally leaning towards the SF Bay area/silicone valley). Really I have no idea where to start, any feedback at all in regards to this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step would be to locate companies that seem to be doing something close to what you're interested in. If they aren't currently hiring, ask if you can do a job shadow for a couple of days to learn about the field. That will help you to determine what you need to get involved.

rm446 said:
So my question is, does anyone have any advice on how to get in with a new venture company?

Find a headhunter or technology recruiter that is located in an area with large numbers of start-ups (i.e. Silicon Valley, Boston, Austin, Research Triangle).

Should I perhaps pursue more education (either in the form of a Ph.D or second M.S.) or would that be unnecessary?

Too much education makes you less attactive to people that run startups. One thing about startups is that startups have a mentality from a large company that can be very, very good or very, very bad.

twofish-quant said:
Too much education makes you less attactive to people that run startups.

I disagree with this. It's all a matter of what you can bring to the table in terms of performance. More education is a plus, as long as you don't think it entitles you to go home at 5PM. :-)

twofish-quant said:
One thing about startups is that startups have a mentality from a large company that can be very, very good or very, very bad.

This is certainly true. I've always loved the startup mentality and I can't stand working for a large company, but you might find it the other way around.

As for finding a position... I agree, check into headhunters who work up in startup-intensive areas. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but things are definitely starting to heat up a bit in Silicon Valley after a relatively quiet period.

I understand your desire to work in a new venture company and be a part of creating new innovations. It sounds like you have a clear idea of your long term career goals and are willing to make changes in order to achieve them, which is a great start.

In terms of getting a job in a new venture company, my advice would be to network as much as possible. Attend industry events, conferences, and workshops to meet people in the aeronautical and green energy industries. You can also join professional organizations or online communities related to these fields. Networking can often lead to job opportunities or at least provide valuable insights and connections in the industry.

In terms of education, it depends on the specific company and position you are interested in. Some new venture companies may value advanced degrees, while others may prioritize hands-on experience and skills. It may be helpful to research the companies you are interested in and see what their requirements and preferences are. Additionally, you can reach out to individuals currently working in those companies and ask for their advice on what they look for in potential employees.

Moving to an urban center, such as the SF Bay area, may also increase your chances of finding job opportunities in new venture companies. However, it's important to consider the cost of living and potential job market competition in these areas.

Overall, my advice would be to continue networking, gaining relevant experience, and staying updated on industry developments. By being proactive and persistent, you can increase your chances of getting a job in a new venture company. Good luck in your career pursuits!

What are the key skills and qualifications required for a job in a new venture company?

The specific skills and qualifications required for a job in a new venture company will vary based on the company and the specific role you are applying for. However, some common skills and qualifications that are often sought after include a strong entrepreneurial mindset, adaptability, problem-solving abilities, and a willingness to take on new challenges. Additionally, having a relevant degree or experience in a related field can also be beneficial.

How can I stand out as a candidate when applying for a job in a new venture company?

To stand out as a candidate for a job in a new venture company, it's important to showcase your unique skills and experiences. This can include highlighting any previous experience working in a start-up or entrepreneurial environment, demonstrating your ability to think creatively and outside the box, and showcasing your passion and enthusiasm for the company and its mission. Additionally, networking and making connections within the industry can also help you stand out and potentially lead to job opportunities.

What are some common challenges and opportunities when working in a new venture company?

Working in a new venture company can be both exciting and challenging. Some common challenges include a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, limited resources, and uncertainty about the future. However, there are also many opportunities, such as the potential for rapid growth and advancement, the ability to have a direct impact on the success of the company, and the chance to work with a diverse and talented team.

What type of company culture should I expect when working in a new venture company?

The company culture in a new venture company can vary, but it is often characterized by a strong sense of teamwork, innovation, and a willingness to take risks and try new things. These companies also often have a flatter hierarchy, with less defined roles and more opportunities for employees to take on multiple responsibilities. Additionally, a strong emphasis on collaboration and open communication is often present in these types of companies.

What can I do to prepare for a job in a new venture company?

To prepare for a job in a new venture company, it can be helpful to do some research on the company and its industry, as well as familiarize yourself with the company's mission and values. Additionally, developing a strong understanding of the skills and qualifications that are typically sought after in these types of companies can help you tailor your resume and cover letter to stand out as a candidate. Networking and building connections within the industry can also be beneficial in preparing for a job in a new venture company.