Halloween, what are you dressing up as?

• Thread starter Kerrie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about Halloween plans and costume ideas. One person is excited about dressing up as a chemist with a gas mask and another is considering going naked as a robbery victim. They also mention parties happening at a nearby university and the fact that Halloween falls on a weekend this year.
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Who is dressing up and going out this year? This will be the first year I celebrate it as an adult...

Physics news on Phys.org
I got me a genuine Soviet issued bio/chem gas mask with filter. I'm going to get me a white smock and spray paint either a radiological or biohazard warning on the back. I might Caution tape off my yard and if any hallo-wieners (IE, trick-or-treaters) come to my door, I'll yell at them to RUN! POISON GAS! heh :p

I have a couple of parties to go to but I don't know what to dress up as. I might turn up naked and say that I am dressed as a man who has just been robbed of everything.

Halloween weekend here at UCSB is off the hook! I can't wait. I hope some of you close by can come on through and check it out.

Halloween falls on a weekend this year; I can't go to work dressed up. :frown: I was going to go as a Spanish Inquisitor.

Hurkyl said:
Halloween falls on a weekend this year; I can't go to work dressed up. :frown: I was going to go as a Spanish Inquisitor.

LOL, now that was funny...

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

A Bi-Lo employee! I'm mostly likely working that night.

1. What is the origin of Halloween costumes?

The tradition of wearing costumes on Halloween originated from the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, where people would dress up in animal skins and masks to ward off evil spirits.

2. Why do people dress up on Halloween?

Dressing up on Halloween is a fun and festive way to celebrate the holiday. It allows people to step out of their normal identities and become someone or something else for the night.

3. How do Halloween costumes relate to the supernatural?

Many Halloween costumes are inspired by supernatural beings, such as ghosts, witches, and vampires. These costumes are often associated with the spooky and mystical elements of the holiday.

4. What are some popular Halloween costumes?

Some popular Halloween costumes include classic characters like zombies, skeletons, and witches, as well as pop culture icons, superheroes, and animals.

5. How can I choose a Halloween costume that is culturally appropriate?

When choosing a Halloween costume, it is important to avoid cultural appropriation and offensive stereotypes. Consider costumes that celebrate different cultures and avoid costumes that perpetuate harmful stereotypes.