Which type of slitted sheet is better for decomposing non-monochromatic light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a denser or less dense slitted sheet to decompose non-monochromatic light in diffraction. It is suggested that a denser grating would be better in minimizing overlapping and color addition. The speaker also mentions the need for more formulas to solve the problem. Help is appreciated.
asfd
We had a lab on diffraction (Young's experience and more) and we are now asked what would be better to decompose a non-monochromatic light: a denser slitted sheet or a less dense one?

I really don't know how to solve this problem... it looks like I need more formulas than what I've currently got...

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Monochromatic light will produce a single diffraction maxima for each order of diffraction. (One on each side, that is.) Non-monochromatic light will produce a spectrum of maxima for each order.

So which grating would better keep different order spectra from overlapping?

I guess a dense grating would be better since we would get narrower stripes for each color thus minimizing overlapping and color addition... Am I right?

What is multiple slits diffraction?

Multiple slits diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through multiple parallel slits and creates a pattern of bright and dark spots on a screen. This is due to the interference of light waves as they pass through the slits.

How does multiple slits diffraction differ from single slit diffraction?

In single slit diffraction, light passes through a single opening and creates a pattern of bright and dark spots. However, in multiple slits diffraction, light passes through multiple openings and creates a more complex pattern with multiple bright and dark spots.

What factors affect the pattern of multiple slits diffraction?

The pattern of multiple slits diffraction is affected by the distance between the slits, the wavelength of the light, and the size of the slits. The pattern will also change if the light source is changed to a different color or if the screen distance is altered.

What is the purpose of using multiple slits in diffraction experiments?

Using multiple slits in diffraction experiments allows for a more detailed and complex pattern to be observed. This can provide more information about the properties of light and can be used to study the behavior of different wavelengths of light.

What are some real-life applications of multiple slits diffraction?

Multiple slits diffraction is used in various technologies, such as CD and DVD players, where the data is stored as a diffraction grating on the surface of the disc. It is also used in the construction of some types of microscopes and telescopes, as well as in the study of crystal structures in materials science.