Electric Circuits Delta-to-Y and Y-to-Delta Transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection of three 6 ohm resistors in a delta configuration, and the determination of the equivalent Y circuit, resistance between terminals ab, and the power dissipated in both circuits. For the Y circuit, the resistors are equivalent to 2 ohms each. In part b, the resistors between ab and bc are in series, resulting in a resistance of 12 ohms, and no current will flow through the third resistor. For part c, the circuit diagram can be drawn to help calculate the desired values with terminal c open.
annonerjee

Homework Statement

Three 6 ohm resistors are connected in delta with terminals a, b and c between the resistors.
Determine:
a)The equivalent Y circuit.
b)The resistance between terminals ab in both circuits with terminal c short-circuited to a.
c)Assuming that a 12 V source is connected between terminals ab with terminal c open, calculate the power dissipated in both circuits.

Homework Equations

Delta to Y:
R1=(RbRc)/(Ra+Rb+Rc)
R2=(RaRc)/(Ra+Rb+Rc)
R3=(RaRb)/(Ra+Rb+Rc)
Y to Deta:
Ra=(R1R2+R2R3+R3R1)/R1
Rb=(R1R2+R2R3+R3R1)/R2
Rc=(R1R2+R2R3+R3R1)/R3

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I figured this part out. I used the formula and got that each resistor must equal 2 ohms in the Y equivalent.
I am having trouble with b and c, however.
I part b, after i short circuited a and c, I got that the resistors between ab and bc are in series so the req will be 12 ohms and since the third element is shorted then no current will flow through it. But the answer should be 3 ohms.
For part c I don't even know how to start.
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
In part B , how you concluded that the resistors are in series? You may draw the circuit diagram and visualize to check whether you are right.

To solve part C also first drawing the circuit diagram and open circuiting terminal C, will enable you to calculate whatever you want.

What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed loop through which electrons can flow, providing a path for the transfer of electrical energy. It typically consists of a source of electricity, such as a battery, and components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors that control the flow of electricity.

What is a Delta-to-Y transformation in electric circuits?

A Delta-to-Y transformation, also known as a Delta-to-Wye transformation, is a method used to convert a three-phase circuit with a Delta connection to an equivalent circuit with a Y connection. This is often used in power systems to simplify calculations and analysis.

How is a Delta-to-Y transformation performed?

To perform a Delta-to-Y transformation, the three Delta-connected resistors are replaced with equivalent Y-connected resistors. The resistors are connected in a specific pattern, with one resistor connected between each pair of nodes, forming a Y shape. The values of the Y-connected resistors are determined using a set of equations based on the values of the Delta-connected resistors.

What is a Y-to-Delta transformation in electric circuits?

A Y-to-Delta transformation, also known as a Y-to-Wye transformation, is the inverse of a Delta-to-Y transformation. It is used to convert a three-phase circuit with a Y connection to an equivalent circuit with a Delta connection. This is also used to simplify calculations and analysis in power systems.

How is a Y-to-Delta transformation performed?

The three Y-connected resistors are replaced with equivalent Delta-connected resistors. The resistors are connected in a specific pattern, with one end of each resistor connected to a common node, forming a Delta shape. The values of the Delta-connected resistors are determined using a set of equations based on the values of the Y-connected resistors.