Why do people say CSB is non-perturbative?

• Thread starter cello
  • Start date
In summary, because the VEV vanishes at tree level, perturbative corrections then also vanish, because of the chiral flavor symmetry of the lagrangian. Thus the value of vev is not accessible in perturbation theory.
cello
For example, in Srednicki's QFT book, he said: "because [tex]\langle\bar{\psi}\psi\rangle[/tex] vanishes at tree level, perturbative corrections then also vanish, because of the chiral flavor symmetry of the lagrangian. Thus the value of vev is not accessible in perturbation theory."

I don't understand, because what he said seems to be true even for the simplest [tex]Z_2[/tex]-breaking phi-4 theory. Here we can say [tex]\langle\phi\rangle[/tex] vanishes because if we use the original field to do perturbation calculations, no Feynman diagram can be drawn that contributes to this vev, exactly because of the [tex]Z_2[/tex] symmetry.

So is it true that any SSB is non-perturbative? Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In SSB with a scalar field, there is a tree-level potential for the scalar field (consisting of mass term and [tex]\phi^4[/tex] interaction). By breaking [tex]\phi[/tex] up into a classical and quantum part, the effective field theory of the components leads directly to the value of the VEV. This EFT can be explicitly related to Feynman diagrams.

For chiral QCD with vanishing quark masses, there is no tree-level potential that could lead to the [tex]\langle \bar{\psi}_i\psi_i\rangle[/tex] VEV. Therefore fermionic condensates are produced by nonperturbative physics. Another way to understand this is that [tex]\langle \bar{\psi}_i\psi_i\rangle[/tex] is a dimensionful quantity. The only scale in the theory is the QCD scale, which is defined at a point where perturbative physics is strictly not valid. So observables that depend on this scale are always tied to nonperturbative phenomena.

fzero said:
In SSB with a scalar field, there is a tree-level potential for the scalar field (consisting of mass term and [tex]\phi^4[/tex] interaction). By breaking [tex]\phi[/tex] up into a classical and quantum part, the effective field theory of the components leads directly to the value of the VEV. This EFT can be explicitly related to Feynman diagrams.

For chiral QCD with vanishing quark masses, there is no tree-level potential that could lead to the [tex]\langle \bar{\psi}_i\psi_i\rangle[/tex] VEV. Therefore fermionic condensates are produced by nonperturbative physics. Another way to understand this is that [tex]\langle \bar{\psi}_i\psi_i\rangle[/tex] is a dimensionful quantity. The only scale in the theory is the QCD scale, which is defined at a point where perturbative physics is strictly not valid. So observables that depend on this scale are always tied to nonperturbative phenomena.

I'm sorry but I don't get it. What do you mean by breaking phi up into a classical and quantum part? What kind of diagrams do you relate to the vev? Can you explain it in more detail? Thank you, fzero.

If we have the potential

[tex]V(\phi) = \frac{m^2}{2} \phi^2 + \lambda \phi^4[/tex]

the classical solution [tex]\upsilon[/tex] satisfies

[tex]\left. \frac{\delta V}{\delta \phi} \right|_{\phi = \upsilon} =0. [/tex]

[tex]\upsilon[/tex] is by definition the VEV of [tex]\phi[/tex], namely [tex]\langle \phi\rangle =\upsilon[/tex]. Small fluctuations around the VEV are parameterized by the quantum field [tex]\varphi[/tex] satisfying

[tex] \phi = \upsilon + \varphi. (*)[/tex]

The effective potential for [tex]\varphi[/tex] can be obtained by direct substitution as [tex]V(\upsilon + \varphi)[/tex]. We can either expand the polynomial or note the Taylor expansion

[tex] V_\text{eff} (\varphi) = V(\upsilon) + \frac{1}{2} \left. \frac{\delta^2 V(\phi)}{\delta\phi^2} \right|_{\phi=\upsilon} \varphi^2 + \cdots . (**) [/tex]

However we can also compute the potential from Feynman diagrams. I don't want to try to draw diagrams, but you can probably find some if you search around for "background field method." The idea is that the Feynman diagrams are a diagrammatic representation of correlation functions:

[tex] \langle \phi(p_1) \phi(p_2) \phi(p_3) \phi(-p_1-p_2-p_3)\rangle \sim \lambda. [/tex]

If we expand these correlation functions using (*), we'll find terms like

[tex] \upsilon^2 \langle \varphi(p) \varphi(-p) \rangle \sim \lambda \upsilon^2 .[/tex]

This expression shows how the [tex]\phi^4[/tex] term generates a contribution to the effective mass for the [tex]\varphi[/tex] field, in correspondence with the 2nd term in (**). Now it turns out that we can also obtain these terms from the Feynman diagrams for the [tex]\phi^4[/tex] theory where we count the different ways that we can insert [tex]\upsilon[/tex] or [tex]\varphi[/tex] on the legs instead of [tex]\phi[/tex].

The upshot of all this, which involves no nonperturbative physics at all, is that, for certain values of [tex]m^2, \lambda[/tex], the potential for [tex]\varphi[/tex] will not be invariant under [tex]\varphi\rightarrow -\varphi[/tex]. So the original symmetry is spontaneously broken by the VEV.

1. Why is CSB considered to be non-perturbative?

CSB, or chiral symmetry breaking, is considered non-perturbative because it involves the spontaneous breaking of a fundamental symmetry in quantum field theory. This type of phenomenon cannot be described accurately with perturbation theory, which relies on small changes or interactions from the original state. CSB, however, involves a significant change in the state of the system, making perturbative methods inadequate.

2. What is the significance of chiral symmetry in physics?

Chiral symmetry is a fundamental symmetry in quantum field theory that relates particles with opposite chirality (left-handed and right-handed). It plays a crucial role in the Standard Model of particle physics and is important for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

3. How does CSB affect the properties of particles?

CSB can have a significant impact on the properties of particles, particularly on their masses. When chiral symmetry is broken, certain particles may acquire mass, which was previously thought to be massless. This leads to a better understanding of the masses of subatomic particles and their interactions.

4. Can CSB be explained using perturbation theory?

No, CSB cannot be accurately described using perturbation theory. This is because perturbative methods rely on small changes or interactions from the original state, and CSB involves a significant change in the state of the system. In order to understand CSB, non-perturbative methods must be used.

5. What are some examples of CSB in physics?

One example of CSB in physics is the phenomenon of pion condensation in nuclear matter, where chiral symmetry is broken and pions are formed. Another example is the Higgs mechanism in the Standard Model, where the breaking of chiral symmetry gives mass to the W and Z bosons. Other examples can be found in condensed matter physics, such as the breaking of chiral symmetry in topological insulators.