Simulating Bonded Contact from ANSYS Mechanical in ANSYS APDL

In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of using different element types to model a structure and the issue with contact settings in ANSYS Mechanical and ANSYS Classic. The individual is trying to recreate a model in APDL and is seeking advice on contact tutorials and alternative methods for creating contact. They also mention using ANSYS Workbench instead of APDL.
50Cent
Simulating "Bonded Contact" from ANSYS Mechanical in ANSYS APDL

Hi,

Im looking into the accuracy of using different element types to model a particular structure. As a simple approximation think of it as a beam split into 3 horizontal sections. Shown in the diagram as top, middle & bottom layer. (The middle layer is very thin!)

I have modeled the structure in ANSYS Mechanical and obtained the results using Solid Brick Elements. Now I am trying to create the same model in ANSYS Classic using a combination of Solid-Shell and 8-node brick elements.

I have all the loading conditions set up, but I'm having a problem with contact settings. In ANSYS Mechanical i used "bonded" symmetric contact on the areas in contact.

In APDL I am trying to use the contact wizard to do the same, but don't know the friction coefficeints that would be comparable to that of the "bonded" contact in mechanical. The model is not deforming how i would expect, if all the layers are bonded the structure should experience bending stresses and displacement on the LHS rather than the RHS.

10mpsvp.jpg

I have a feeling my contact is not set up correctly. Any tips? ideas?
Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi, I am new with Ansys. Can I know how you model this model? Are you using Ansys Mechanical APDL to model it or are you importing as iges file from Solidworks or any other modelling sotfware? This is because there is error when importing from into Ansys as the error stated that "Line 12 is used 3 times for this list of areas. The list of areas may consist of multiple volumes. Please reselect the areas to form a single volume."

PHILIPCHANCK said:
Hi, I am new with Ansys. Can I know how you model this model? Are you using Ansys Mechanical APDL to model it or are you importing as iges file from Solidworks or any other modelling sotfware? This is because there is error when importing from into Ansys as the error stated that "Line 12 is used 3 times for this list of areas. The list of areas may consist of multiple volumes. Please reselect the areas to form a single volume."

Hi,

I created the model in SolidEdge and saved it as an iges file. Then using Workbench, i set up a Mechanical APDL module and assigned the iges model to it. Then i can right click and say "edit in Mechanical APDL" and it will start up ANSYS classic for me to do my meshing, add loads etc

Hope that helps!

Any suggestions? Been looking for some good contact tutorials... but couldn't find any :/ anyone got a link for one?

Hi,

So i solved the above problem. I had forgotten to change the contact settings from "Standard" to "Bonded (always)" in the contact wizard.

However, that didnt solve my problem as i was still getting large errors. So i thought i would do a test to see if it was my contact settings. I had created an all solid model in ANSYS Mechanical, so i thought i'd recreate this in APDL to see if i could get matching answers. After many trials, i still can't get it correct =( The deformation is spot on, but when looking at Equivalent Stress.. i get errors of upto 15%!

I am using currently using Nodal components (surface-Surface) and the contact wizard to create the contact. Is there another way i can try doing this?

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks

well I am currently trying to solve a wood-dowel project using contact element. The problem for the error maybe due to the parameters and equation that you select. make sure that if you use bonded contact the contact algorithm is" MPC" because MPC has a good convergence behavior (with few equilibrium iterations) if you change the standard to bonded (always) also check to change the contact algorithm to MPC, that fits better. and change your normal stiffness to 1 and see if it helps.

Try using ANSYS Workbench instead

APDL is for people who are experts in APDL

1. What is the purpose of simulating bonded contact in ANSYS Mechanical?

The purpose of simulating bonded contact in ANSYS Mechanical is to understand and analyze the behavior of parts that are connected together through a bonded interface. This type of analysis is commonly used in engineering and manufacturing industries to ensure the structural integrity and reliability of assemblies.

2. How is bonded contact simulated in ANSYS Mechanical?

Bonded contact is simulated in ANSYS Mechanical by defining contact surfaces between parts and specifying the contact type as "bonded". This allows for the transfer of forces and moments between the connected parts, without allowing any relative motion or separation.

3. What are the benefits of simulating bonded contact in ANSYS Mechanical?

The benefits of simulating bonded contact in ANSYS Mechanical include the ability to accurately predict the behavior and performance of assemblies, identify potential failure points, optimize designs, and improve overall product reliability. It also allows for more efficient and cost-effective testing and analysis, compared to physical prototyping.

4. Are there any limitations to simulating bonded contact in ANSYS Mechanical?

While ANSYS Mechanical offers robust capabilities for simulating bonded contact, there are some limitations to consider. For instance, the bonded contact assumption may not accurately represent the real-world behavior of some assemblies, as it assumes a perfect bond between the parts. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the mesh quality and other modeling assumptions.

5. Can bonded contact simulations be coupled with other types of analyses in ANSYS Mechanical?

Yes, bonded contact simulations can be coupled with other types of analyses in ANSYS Mechanical, such as structural, thermal, and dynamic analyses. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of assemblies under different loading and environmental conditions, and can provide more accurate and reliable results.