Wald: Ch. 2, Problem 8.b

• Thread starter Rasalhague
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficients in coordinate bases of the metric tensors for Minkowski space in "rotating coordinates" defined by certain transformations. The inverse coordinate transformation is also discussed, along with the calculation of the Jacobian matrix and the new coefficients of the metric tensors. A potential issue is raised about the transformation not being a valid coordinate transform, but it is later resolved by correcting some typos in the given transformation.
Rasalhague
Find the coefficients in coordinate bases, of the metric tensors for Minkowski space, for "rotating coordinates" defined by

[tex]t' = t,[/tex]

[tex]x' = (x^2+y^2)^{-1/2} \cos(\phi - \omega t),[/tex]

[tex]y' = (x^2+y^2)^{-1/2} \sin(\phi - \omega t),[/tex]

[tex]z' = z.[/tex]

I think the inverse coordinate transformation should be

[tex]t = t',[/tex]

[tex]x = (x'^2+y'^2)^{-1/2} \cos(-\phi + \omega t),[/tex]

[tex]y = (x^2+y^2)^{-1/2} \sin(-\phi + \omega t),[/tex]

[tex]z = z'.[/tex]

(EDIT: Insert prime symbols on x and y inside the brackets in the 3rd line of the inverse transformation.)

In Mathematica, I calculated the Jacobian matrix of this inverse transformation, using doubled letters for primed ones:

In[1]:= q = {tt, Sqrt[xx^2 + yy^2]*Cos[-phi + omega*tt],
Sqrt[xx^2 + yy^2]*Sin[-phi + omega*tt], zz}; J =
D[q, {{tt, xx, yy, zz}}]

Out[1]:= {{1, 0, 0, 0}, {omega Sqrt[xx^2 + yy^2] Sin[phi - omega tt], (
xx Cos[phi - omega tt])/Sqrt[xx^2 + yy^2], (yy Cos[phi - omega tt])/
Sqrt[xx^2 + yy^2],
0}, {omega Sqrt[xx^2 + yy^2] Cos[phi - omega tt], -((
xx Sin[phi - omega tt])/Sqrt[xx^2 + yy^2]), -((
yy Sin[phi - omega tt])/Sqrt[xx^2 + yy^2]), 0}, {0, 0, 0, 1}}

Then I calculated the new coefficients of the metric tensors thus:

In[2]:= g = DiagonalMatrix[{-1, 1, 1, 1}]; gg =
Transpose[J].g.J

Out[2]: {{-1 + omega^2 (xx^2 + yy^2) Cos[phi - omega tt]^2 +
omega^2 (xx^2 + yy^2) Sin[phi - omega tt]^2, 0, 0,
0}, {0, (xx^2 Cos[phi - omega tt]^2)/(xx^2 + yy^2) + (
xx^2 Sin[phi - omega tt]^2)/(xx^2 + yy^2), (
xx yy Cos[phi - omega tt]^2)/(xx^2 + yy^2) + (
xx yy Sin[phi - omega tt]^2)/(xx^2 + yy^2),
0}, {0, (xx yy Cos[phi - omega tt]^2)/(xx^2 + yy^2) + (
xx yy Sin[phi - omega tt]^2)/(xx^2 + yy^2), (
yy^2 Cos[phi - omega tt]^2)/(xx^2 + yy^2) + (
yy^2 Sin[phi - omega tt]^2)/(xx^2 + yy^2), 0}, {0, 0, 0, 1}}

The result is symmetric, but both the Jacobian matrix and the new coefficient matrix of the metric tensor field have determinant zero. I guess this means I'm doing something wrong, since the determinant of the latter matrix is used to measure spacetime volumes, but volume wouldn't be well defined if a particular volume could be zero when measured in one chart, and nonzero in another. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
It took me a moment to notice this issue, but there is something fishy about the transform. For given z and t, any x, y on the circle (x^2+Y^2)=k produce the same x', y' values. Thus, a circle in (x,y,z,t) gets mapped to a point in (x',y',z',t'). That's not a valid coordinate transform.

Ah, thanks, I see what's amiss now. I omitted his final condition: tan(phi) = y/x. Setting phi = ArcTan[y/x] gives a Jacobian matrix with determinant 1, and a metric matrix with determinant -1, as expected.

Several typos in your transformation as given. (x2 + y2) should have an exponent + 1/2. Also in the sin, cos argument you want to change the sign of just t, not both φ and t. In other words, you want the (x,y) coords to rotate in the opposite (time-reversed) sense wrt (x',y'). Since cos is an even function and sin is odd, what you have written amounts to a reflection y' = - y.

Thanks, Bill. I never spotted the minus sign in the exponent in the LaTeX till you pointed it out; that was just a typo, and didn't enter my calculations. I did evenually realize my mistake with inserting a minus sign before the phi. Also, the argument of sine and cosine in the inverse transformation should be phi'+omega*t', where phi' = arctan(y'/x'), shouldn't it?

1. What is the significance of Wald's Ch. 2, Problem 8.b in the field of science?

The problem addresses the concept of statistical hypothesis testing, which is a fundamental aspect of scientific research. It demonstrates how to calculate the probability of committing a Type II error in a hypothesis test.

2. Can you explain the problem in simple terms?

The problem presents a scenario where a new medication is being tested for its effectiveness in curing a disease. The researcher wants to determine the probability of incorrectly concluding that the medication is not effective, even though it actually is.

3. What is a Type II error?

A Type II error, also known as a false negative, occurs when a hypothesis test incorrectly fails to reject a null hypothesis that is actually false.

4. How does the problem relate to real-world research?

In real-world scientific research, hypothesis testing is used to make decisions and draw conclusions based on data. Understanding the probability of making a Type II error is important for determining the validity and reliability of research findings.

5. What are the implications of the results from this problem?

The results of this problem can inform researchers about the likelihood of committing a Type II error in their own studies. It also highlights the importance of careful study design and statistical analysis in order to minimize the risk of making incorrect conclusions.