Quotient Ring of a Polynomial Ring

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between quotienting a polynomial ring by an ideal and quotienting it by two smaller ideals. It is shown that there is a ring isomorphism between R/(I+J) and (R/I)/q(J), demonstrating that the two methods of quotienting are equivalent.
GargleBlast42
Hi,

given a polynomial ring [tex]R=\mathbb{C}[x_1,\ldots,x_n][/tex] and an ideal [tex]I=\langle f_1, f_2 \rangle, \quad f_1, f_2 \in R[/tex], is it always true that [tex]R/I \cong (R/\langle f_1 \rangle)/\phi(\langle f_2 \rangle)[/tex], with [tex]\phi: R \rightarrow R/I[/tex] being the quotient map?
That is, is quotienting by I always the same as first quotienting by [tex]\langle f_1 \rangle[/tex] and then by [tex]\langle f_2 \rangle[/tex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. If R is any ring with two ideals I, J, and q:R\to R/I is the quotient map, there is an obvious map

[tex]R/(I+J)\to (R/I)/q(J)[/tex]

namely

[tex]r+I+J\mapsto q(r)+q(J)[/tex]

It is easily shown to be a (well-defined) ring isomorphism.

1. What is a quotient ring of a polynomial ring?

A quotient ring of a polynomial ring is a mathematical structure that is formed by dividing a polynomial ring by a specific subset of its elements. This subset is called an ideal, and the resulting quotient ring contains all possible combinations of the elements in the polynomial ring that are not in the ideal.

2. What is the significance of the quotient ring of a polynomial ring?

The quotient ring of a polynomial ring is significant in abstract algebra, as it allows for the study of polynomial rings by considering only a smaller subset of elements. This can simplify the analysis and computations involved in studying polynomial rings.

3. How is the quotient ring of a polynomial ring calculated?

The quotient ring of a polynomial ring is calculated by first defining an ideal within the polynomial ring. Then, the elements in the ideal are used to generate a set of cosets, which are the elements in the quotient ring. Finally, the operations of addition and multiplication on these cosets are defined to form the quotient ring.

4. What are some real-world applications of the quotient ring of a polynomial ring?

The quotient ring of a polynomial ring has applications in many areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, number theory, and coding theory. It is also used in signal processing and error-correcting codes in computer science and engineering.

5. Are there any practical uses for the quotient ring of a polynomial ring?

While the quotient ring of a polynomial ring may not have direct practical applications, it is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra and is essential for understanding more complex mathematical structures. Additionally, it has practical uses in fields such as cryptography and error-correcting codes.