Calculating Limits and Harmonic Series: A Straightforward Approach

• Thread starter kotreny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a limit using straightforward methods and proper notation. The limit is represented as a sum and is then transformed into an integral, resulting in the natural log function. There is also a discussion about replacing delta x with different values and its relationship to the harmonic series.
kotreny
I don't know where to begin to calculate this limit, but I think I know what the answer is. Could someone please do it with straightforward methods? I suspect the answer is ln(x+1).
Also, I don't know how to write it down in proper notation, so I ask that someone do that too.

limdx-->0 SUMk=1 to x/dx[dx/(1+(k-1)dx)]

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\to0}\sum_{k=1}^{[\frac{x}{\Delta x}]}\frac{\Delta x}{1+(k-1)\Delta x}\\
=\lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{k=1}^n\frac{x/n}{1+(k-1)x/n}\\
=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac1n\sum_{k=1}^n\frac{x}{1+x(k-1)/n}\\
=\int_0^1\frac{x}{1+xu}\ du
=\log(1+x)[/tex]

I can't believe some pig answered my request! Ugh! No seriously, thanks. (Hey, you asked for it.)

The thing that interests me about this formula is that if you replace delta x with 1 instead of -->0, you get the harmonic series up to the x-th term. And you can generalize it by having delta x be any number. The natural log is simply the case where delta x -->0, or in other words, this thing is "compounded continuously." It's an expression of the intuited difference between the harmonic series at x and the natural log: Discrete vs. Continuous.

No, he did not replace [itex]\Delta x[/itex] with 1, he replaced it with x/n which does go to 0 as n goes to infinity.

I know, and the limit evaluates to ln(1+x). I'm saying if we replace delta x in the first expression with 1, we get the harmonic series summed up until k=x.

1. What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus refers to the value that a function approaches as its input variable gets closer to a specific value or point. It is an essential concept in calculus and is used to describe the behavior of functions near a particular point.

2. How do you evaluate a limit?

To evaluate a limit, you need to first determine the behavior of the function as the input variable approaches the specified value. You can use algebraic manipulation, graphing, or substitution to find the limit, depending on the complexity of the function.

3. What are the different types of limits?

There are various types of limits, including one-sided limits, two-sided limits, infinite limits, and limits at infinity. One-sided limits refer to the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches a value from one side, while two-sided limits consider the behavior from both sides of the value. Infinite limits occur when a function approaches positive or negative infinity, and limits at infinity describe the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches infinity.

4. What is the significance of limits in calculus?

Limits are essential in calculus because they allow us to analyze the behavior of functions and determine their values at specific points. They also help in understanding the concept of continuity, which is crucial in calculus. Moreover, limits are used in various applications of calculus, such as optimization, derivatives, and integrals.

5. Can all limits be evaluated?

No, not all limits can be evaluated. Some limits may not exist, while others may be infinite. In such cases, the limit is said to be undefined. Additionally, some limits may require advanced techniques or may be mathematically impossible to evaluate. In such cases, the limit is considered to be indeterminate.