Exploring the Effectiveness of Proof Books for Students New to Abstract Algebra

In summary, some people have read How to Prove It: A Structured Approach by Daniel Velleman and Introduction to Mathematical Thinking: Algebra and Number Systems by Gilbert and Vanstone and they say that they are great buys for undergraduates who have no prior exposure to proofs. However, it is ultimately up to the individual whether or not these books will be sufficient for their course.
IKonquer
Has anyone read How to Prove It: A Structured Approach by Daniel Velleman or Introduction to Mathematical Thinking: Algebra and Number Systems by Gilbert and Vanstone?

If so, how well do they prepare a student who has had no exposure to proofs to take classes such as abstract algebra?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this will largely depend on how your school approaches the course. I know that my school has what is essentially an intro to proofs class which all students must take before moving on to any pure math such as this, or real analysis, or anything of the sort.

I do know, however, that MIT does not have such a course, and that the only prerequisite for real analysis (a proof based course) is the normal old calculus I and II sequence. Their course (in theory) gives all of the proof-knowledge needed for the course.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with Velleman's How To Prove It. I am reading it right now, and it is great.

Check out the comments on amazon, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521675995/?tag=pfamazon01-20

From what everyone says over there it is a great buy and a great asset to an undergrad mathematics student. (This is ultimately the reason I took a chance on it -- and no matter what, it can't hurt. The book is about 400 pages of all proofs, and how to go about solving proofs, and solutions selected proofs. The first two chapters are introductions to some basic math logic stuff, the "language" of proofs, but everything else is proofs. If you go through the whole book, and work the problems, you will most definitely get something substantial out of it.).

Now, whether or not this will be sufficient for your course, I cannot say; for that you will need someone with more experience than I.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a proofs course and have a number of proofs books and I found them all kind of boring.

I think it is more interesting to learn proofs while learning a specific math subject.

For example, Analysis with an Introduction to Proofs by Steven Lay appears to be a good book.

I'm sure something similar exists for abstract algebra.

1. What is an "Introduction to Proof" book?

An "Introduction to Proof" book is a textbook that is commonly used in undergraduate mathematics courses. It introduces students to the fundamental concepts and techniques of mathematical proof, which are essential for advanced courses in mathematics and other related fields.

2. Who should use an "Introduction to Proof" book?

Anyone who is interested in learning how to construct and write mathematical proofs can use an "Introduction to Proof" book. It is commonly used by undergraduate students, but can also be beneficial for self-study or as a reference for more advanced mathematicians.

3. What topics are typically covered in an "Introduction to Proof" book?

Some common topics covered in an "Introduction to Proof" book include logic, set theory, basic proof techniques such as direct proof and proof by contradiction, and more advanced topics such as induction and proof by cases. Some books may also cover topics like functions, relations, and cardinality.

4. How can an "Introduction to Proof" book benefit students?

An "Introduction to Proof" book can benefit students by teaching them how to think critically and logically, which are important skills for any field. It can also help students develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and prepare them for more advanced courses in mathematics and related fields.

5. Are there any recommended "Introduction to Proof" books?

Yes, there are many recommended "Introduction to Proof" books, as it is a common subject in undergraduate mathematics courses. Some popular options include "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel Velleman, "Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics" by Gary Chartrand et al., and "Introduction to Mathematical Thinking" by Keith Devlin.