Which Physics Textbook Should I Buy? Help Me Decide!

In summary: It's a complete book that will take you from just about not knowing anything to some of the most advanced topics in a gentle way. The problems are excellent too.In summary, there are many options for physics textbooks, such as Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway, University Physics by Young and Freedman, and Introduction to Plasma Physics by Gedalin. It may be helpful to browse the websites of university physics departments to see what books they use. It is also possible to find older editions of textbooks at a lower cost. Ultimately, it is important to find a textbook that matches your learning style and helps you understand the subject matter.
cheer177
Hello, I don't know what Physics Textbook, I should buy. Actually, I already had Physics Textbook that is Physics for scientists and engineers by Serway. However, right now I want to buy a new one. Which one I should buy. Please help me. (I think a problem book from irodov is a good one, but I found it on the internet)
Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
For what level? 1st year undergrad?

If you don't like Serway's book, your problem is with physics not with books.

I would suggest going to a library (especially a college library) and seeing what they have. Even if they only have older editions, you can find one that seems to match your learning style the best. From there you can find a newer edition by the same authors.

cheer177 said:
Hello, I don't know what Physics Textbook, I should buy. Actually, I already had Physics Textbook that is Physics for scientists and engineers by Serway. However, right now I want to buy a new one. Which one I should buy. Please help me. (I think a problem book from irodov is a good one, but I found it on the internet)
Thank You.

Hi these are the list of physics textbook that I searched in order to help you in your problem hoping that you will appreciate this bit effort of mine thanks.

*Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Douglas C. Giancoli
*Fundamentals of Physics by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Jearl Walker
*University Physics with Modern Physics by Hugh D. Young, Roger A. Freedman
*Basic Physics of Nuclear Medicine by Kieran Maher
*Introduction to Plasma Physics by Michael Gedalin

b2hv.com
high voltage

get the physics complete torrent, extremely good file

I didn't like S&J's book either. =P
University Physics is rather nice...

And buy the book, it's really hard to study from a pdf.

Curl said:

I agree on you. There’s a lot of physics textbook to find but the problem is they didn't like the author of the book. Physics is very hard and complicated subjects but having a lot of good references will help you to cope about physics don’t go after the author read it contents first..

stephan.b2hv said:
Hi these are the list of physics textbook that I searched in order to help you in your problem hoping that you will appreciate this bit effort of mine thanks.

Thank you very much. It helps me a lot :)

Last edited:
cheer177 said:
Thank you very much. It helps me a lot :)

You are always welcome:smile:

I will always be here to help as long as I can.

have a nice day..

Curl said:

That's a bit unfair. I have some aptitude for math and physics, and I often find that I vastly prefer one book over another, even though both are widely used at the same level.

When I was an undergrad, I was one of the top students in the math dept, and consequently was given a job tutoring freshman calculus students. They used a different book for calculus than the one I had used a couple years earlier. And I found the new book unbelievably hard to read, even though I already knew the subject.

cheer177 said:
Thank You.

You might want to browse the websites of various university physics departments, and see what books they use for what courses. But I'd guess that the majority of freshman calculus-based physics courses use either Serway, Halliday, Giancoli, or Young.

Randall Knight's book is also gaining adherents, and is probably the gentlest of the five. You may be able to find sample chapters of each at the publisher's website, if you can't find them in a library or bookstore.

And, as always, don't think you need to spend $200 on a new book. Spend $20 on one that's a few years old, or even $5 on one that's 40 years old. Newton hasn't changed much in that time.

brocks said:
That's a bit unfair. I have some aptitude for math and physics, and I often find that I vastly prefer one book over another, even though both are widely used at the same level.

When I was an undergrad, I was one of the top students in the math dept, and consequently was given a job tutoring freshman calculus students. They used a different book for calculus than the one I had used a couple years earlier. And I found the new book unbelievably hard to read, even though I already knew the subject.

No need to go into brag-mode. Serway's book is among the best there is... can hardly get better. If you find that "akward" to read, then physics isn't your thing; there is no problem with that book.

Curl said:
No need to go into brag-mode. Serway's book is among the best there is... can hardly get better. If you find that "akward" to read, then physics isn't your thing; there is no problem with that book.

I know there's a word for people who can't conceive of their opinion being wrong, but I can't recall it at the moment.

As for bragging, is that possible when you're anonymous? At any rate, I thought the fact that math was indeed "my thing" was relevant to the discussion.

Curl said:

Set in our ways aren't we...

I didn't read Serway's physics I&II books but I did read his and Moser's Modern Physics book and it left some to be desired.

To the OP, Halliday and Resnick is a nice book, I had Young and Freeman in my Physics I&II sequence but I think H&R is better.

How about the problem book. Which one is looking good? I mean challenging and fun problems. Thank you.

Last edited:
cheer177 said:
How about the problem book. Which one is looking good? I mean challenging and fun problems. Thank you.

Schaum's outlines are always a good resource for problems.

cheer177 said:

Serway's book has the best problems in intro physics. Always very creative, thought-provoking, and stimulating. None of the chug-and-plug BS you get in other books.

Curl said:
Serway's book has the best problems in intro physics. Always very creative, thought-provoking, and stimulating. None of the chug-and-plug BS you get in other books.
Now I know what it would be like if Donald Trump wrote a physics book.

1. What is the best way to find a physics textbook?

The best way to find a physics textbook is to search online through reputable websites such as Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or the publisher's website. You can also check with your university or local library to see if they have the textbook available.

2. How do I know which physics textbook is right for me?

There are many factors to consider when choosing a physics textbook, such as your level of understanding, the specific subject you are studying, and your learning style. It is important to read reviews and compare different textbooks before making a decision.

3. Can I find a free online version of a physics textbook?

Yes, there are many websites that offer free online versions of physics textbooks, such as OpenStax, Khan Academy, and MIT OpenCourseWare. However, keep in mind that not all textbooks may be available for free and the quality of the online version may vary.

4. Are older editions of a physics textbook still relevant?

While newer editions of a textbook may have updated information and examples, older editions can still be relevant for learning the fundamental concepts of physics. It is always best to check with your professor or syllabus to see if an older edition is acceptable for your course.

5. Can I rent a physics textbook instead of buying it?

Yes, many websites and bookstores offer rental options for textbooks, including physics textbooks. This can be a more cost-effective option, especially if you only need the textbook for a short period of time. Just make sure to return the textbook on time to avoid any additional fees.