Good self-teaching book for elementary and advanced number theory?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for learning materials on the topic of number theory. They have a strong background in math but are specifically interested in Diophantine equations. They are looking for inexpensive books with answers to practice questions. The other person recommends "Introduction to the theory of Numbers" by Hardy and Wright, which is a classic in the field but may not have solutions to all exercises. They also suggest checking for errata and offer to send their own book for free.
RossH
Hello. I am looking for learning materials for the field of number theory. I took a class this semester in number theory and the topic fascinated me, but I don't feel like I learned that much. I am a mathematics minor so I have a very strong background in basic math, abstract/linear algebra, and calculus, but in number theory I don't get much beyond Diophantine equations. So, do you have any book recommendations? My only requirements are that the books are inexpensive (so no current textbooks) and that the answers to at least some of the questions are in the book. I don't want to have to Google for answers to every question in any chapter. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to find "Introduction to the theory of Numbers" by Hardy and Wright in a university library. It's not cheap but it is the classic in the field and most universities have at least one, if not several, copies of that on shelf.

Hardy and Wright is a classic and would be a good choice as a second text in number theory. The most recent edition (sixth) is available on https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199219869/?tag=pfamazon01-20. You could download one or more of these to get exercises. I don't know right offhand whether any of these books have solutions, though. You could post your solutions on this forum to see if they are correct.

If you buy Hardy and Wright, you may wish to look at http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/groups/number-theory/errata-hardy-and-wright, which has a list of misprints with corrections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Send me your email and I will send you my book for free!

Hi there,

I can definitely recommend a few books for you to explore in the field of number theory. For elementary level, I would suggest "Number Theory: A Lively Introduction with Proofs, Applications, and Stories" by James Pommersheim, Tim Marks, and Erica Flapan. This book is written in an engaging and accessible style, making it a great self-teaching resource for beginners. It covers a wide range of topics including prime numbers, congruences, and Diophantine equations.

For more advanced level, I would recommend "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by G.H. Hardy and E.M. Wright. This classic book is a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to number theory, covering topics such as prime number theorem, quadratic forms, and continued fractions. It is a bit more challenging, but it is a great resource for those looking to deepen their understanding of the subject.

Both of these books are reasonably priced and have answers to some of the questions in the book, so you won't have to rely on external sources for every question. I hope you find these recommendations helpful in your self-teaching journey in number theory. Happy learning!

1. What is the best self-teaching book for learning number theory?

The best self-teaching book for learning number theory will vary depending on individual learning styles and needs. Some popular options include "Elementary Number Theory" by David Burton, "The Art of Problem Solving: Introduction to Number Theory" by Mathew Crawford, and "Number Theory: A Lively Introduction with Proofs, Applications, and Stories" by James Pommersheim, Tim Marks, and Erica Flapan.

2. Is it possible to self-teach advanced number theory?

Yes, it is possible to self-teach advanced number theory. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in basic number theory concepts before delving into advanced topics. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of algebra and mathematical proofs.

3. How do I know if a self-teaching book is suitable for my level?

Before purchasing a self-teaching book for number theory, it is important to read reviews and check the book's table of contents to see if it covers topics that align with your current level of knowledge. You can also consult with a math teacher or tutor for recommendations.

4. Are there any online resources for self-teaching number theory?

Yes, there are several online resources available for self-teaching number theory, such as Khan Academy, Brilliant, and MathHelp.com. These websites offer interactive lessons, practice problems, and video tutorials to help you learn at your own pace.

5. How long does it typically take to self-teach number theory?

The amount of time it takes to self-teach number theory will vary depending on the individual's dedication, prior knowledge, and learning pace. It is recommended to set a consistent study schedule and practice regularly to effectively learn the concepts. Generally, it can take a few months to a year to become proficient in number theory.