Guitar & Harmonics: Learning Fundamentals & Techniques

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of harmonics in guitar strings and how they are affected by techniques such as placing fingers at specific spots on the strings. The fundamental tone of the string stays the same, but the ratio of harmonics can be altered by where the string is plucked. Harmonics die out quickly due to their faster oscillation and can be heard as a "twang" sound.
ZealScience
I am learning to play guitar now, I am wondering why guitar strings always give the same sound (pitch). In my opinion, it is because it is always the fundamental, but why there is never presence of harmonics during playing?

Also there is a technique in guitar playing called HARM. You just put your finger loose at approximately 1/2, or 1/3 of the string and leave it when it is working. Then you can play harmonics. Then how is it working?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also there is a technique in guitar playing called HARM. You just put your finger loose at approximately 1/2, or 1/3 of the string and leave it when it is working. Then you can play harmonics. Then how is it working?
Maybe by placing the finger at specified places you are creating artificial nodes that forces the string to vibrate with that particular harmonic.

aim1732 said:
Maybe by placing the finger at specified places you are creating artificial nodes that forces the string to vibrate with that particular harmonic.

Makes sense, thank you

There are harmonics when you play a guitar. You can affect the ratio of harmonics to fundamental tone by where you pick or strum the string, near the middle of the string (less harmonics) or near the end (more harmonics). As mentioned, placing your finger on the string at key spots (1/2, 1/3) prevents the normal fundamental tone, resulting in a higher tone.

ZealScience said:
I am learning to play guitar now, I am wondering why guitar strings always give the same sound (pitch). In my opinion, it is because it is always the fundamental, but why there is never presence of harmonics during playing?
There are harmonics, but they die out rapidly because they oscillate faster.
You can hear them die out. That is why you hear 'twang' if you pluck a string.
The 'tw' is the sound of the higher frequencies. The 'ng' is the lower frequency fundamental.

clem said:
There are harmonics, but they die out rapidly because they oscillate faster.
You can hear them die out. That is why you hear 'twang' if you pluck a string.
The 'tw' is the sound of the higher frequencies. The 'ng' is the lower frequency fundamental.

Yes, that is true. I've heard that, thank you for explanation.

1. What are harmonics in relation to playing the guitar?

Harmonics are produced by lightly touching a string at specific points while playing the guitar. This creates a bell-like sound that is higher in pitch than the note being played.

2. How do I produce harmonics on the guitar?

To produce harmonics, lightly touch the string with your fretting hand at the 12th, 7th, or 5th fret while plucking the string with your picking hand. You can also use techniques such as tapping or pinch harmonics to produce different types of harmonics.

3. What techniques can I use to improve my harmonics on the guitar?

Some techniques that can help improve your harmonics on the guitar include practicing with a metronome to improve accuracy, using a lighter touch on the string, and experimenting with different fretting hand positions to find the sweet spot for each harmonic.

4. How can I incorporate harmonics into my playing?

You can incorporate harmonics into your playing by using them as a decorative element in your solos or melodies, creating unique textures and sounds in your chord progressions, or using them to add dynamics and interest to your overall playing.

5. Are there any specific exercises or drills I can do to improve my harmonic technique on the guitar?

Yes, there are many exercises and drills that can help improve your harmonic technique on the guitar. Some examples include practicing playing different harmonics in succession, incorporating harmonics into scales and arpeggios, and playing songs that heavily feature harmonics.